Smoke Hole Cavern

Netskimmer

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My Blackwater Falls thread didn't seem to illicit much of a response so I thought I'd post some cavern pics. The cavern was dark and I only had my trusty Vivitar 285HV and a cheap Optika softbox with me. Some were taken with a flash and some were not, all were shot hand held, no tripod or monopod. Tell me what you guys think.

1. The is one of the largest ribbon stalactites in the world.
$Smoke Hole Cavern 14.jpg

2. This is a stalactite that broke off long ago and has continued to form on it's side it is called 'the stone fish'
$Smoke Hole Cavern 24.jpg

3. This is a naturally occurring spring deep in the cavern.
$Smoke Hole Cavern 27.jpg

4. This is a mineral deposit cascading down one of the cavern walls.
$Smoke Hole Cavern 39.jpg

Last edited:
Posting ten, unnumbered images is probably not going to get a lot of response. Think about what you are asking - with 10 images, assuming someone was going to give you a critique, each one would take at least 3 to 5 minutes and that means you expect folks to spend 30 to 50 minutes assessing your photos - not going to happen for the most part. Your best bet is to pick 2 or 3 (no more than 5) and post them and tell us what you like or don't like about them. Also, if you number them, it will be a lot easier for someone to review them as with unnumbered images, I find I have to keep flipping back and forth just to make sure I have the right image for my comments.

General comments: they don't look too bad for images taken in the dark using only a flash and a softbox, but some are definitely underexposed. It would also help when you post images to give the viewer some indication of what they are looking at - not every one has been inside a cave.

WesternGuy

I have removed most of the photos, numbered them and given them a brief description. I didn't post them that way initially because I wasn't seeking an in-depth critique, more just wanting to share them and see what people thought in general but that didn't seem to go well so we will try this.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back