Smugmug Help

TJ K

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok so I'm thinking about creating a smugmug account but I don't know whether or not I should pick standard or power account. If someone here has one or the other or has had both can you please help me out. Thanks a lot.
TJ

You can always upgrade after you try it awhile. The feature list is here.

I can make it easy for you though: if you want to completely customize the look of your site then you need something above the basic standard level. If you're ok with the stock themes (and of course don't need the other additional features) then don't worry about it.

There are a couple of other small features but almost total customization is the biggie.

PS: If you don't have a referral discount code already, mine is on my smugmug site.

You can always upgrade after you try it awhile. The feature list is here.

I can make it easy for you though: if you want to completely customize the look of your site then you need something above the basic standard level. If you're ok with the stock themes (and of course don't need the other additional features) then don't worry about it.

There are a couple of other small features but almost total customization is the biggie.

PS: If you don't have a referral discount code already, mine is on my smugmug site.

What do you have? Power or Pro?

Custom look but also 'right click protect' so that your pics are secure from downloaders if u wish.

Is the right click in the Power package too? Thanks for the help guys.
Tj

Custom look but also 'right click protect' so that your pics are secure from downloaders if u wish.

That's true, but a lot of people are too taken in by that. Disabling right-click honestly does next to nothing. I'm not quite sure why, but Firefox on my machine just ignores the right-click protection (you click the "ok" warning and the right-click menu pops up anyway).

Having said that, I do like the feature. It's at least a reminder or an annoyance to the folks that harvest pictures for their own sites, etc etc

Tj

Yes, it is.

I have a pro account. The biggest difference between pro and power is the ability to add watermarks to your images and to set your own prices to sell them.

Tj

Yes, it is.

I have a pro account. The biggest difference between pro and power is the ability to add watermarks to your images and to set your own prices to sell them.

So if you don't have a pro account and set your own prices then what does smugmug do with the money that they sell your pictures for in like standard or power accounts? So if you don't have a pro account can you make money? Thanks
Tj

So if you don't have a pro account and set your own prices then what does smugmug do with the money that they sell your pictures for in like standard or power accounts? So if you don't have a pro account can you make money? Thanks
Tj

They don't take any money (except whatever their deal is with the printer). In the standard/power levels you can let people order prints but you can't set it up to make money. It's really no different than sending your files to a printer, except this way it's done through your smugmug site.

The standard and power levels aren't set up for you to make a profit. That's not to say you can't set up a gallery to display your images to clients, have them pay you directly, then order the prints yourself offline.

Tj

They don't take any money (except whatever their deal is with the printer). In the standard/power levels you can let people order prints but you can't set it up to make money. It's really no different than sending your files to a printer, except this way it's done through your smugmug site.

The standard and power levels aren't set up for you to make a profit. That's not to say you can't set up a gallery to display your images to clients, have them pay you directly, then order the prints yourself offline.

So if i'm not really ready to sell and make money on my pictures at the moment, would you say my Pro flickr account will be suitable for now?
tj

So if i'm not really ready to sell and make money on my pictures at the moment, would you say my Pro flickr account will be suitable for now?
tj

I don't think there's a good way to answer that. If you're happy with Flickr and it suits your needs then great!. I've never liked flickr, the general layout of it, the way it works, etc etc etc.

The big *BIG* difference is when you get something like a smugmug power account and start doing your own customization. Some people are really talented and come up with some killer sites. You can't do that with flickr, pbase, zenfolio, etc.

An afterthought: I don't know if a flickr "pro" account offers this or not, but Smugmug allows you to set up private galleries. That might be another edge smugmug (and zenfolio for that matter) have. I don't make the images I post here available to the general public through my smugmug site usually - for example. That kind of feature is also useful if you're posting a bunch of family pictures you don't want everyone to see, etc.

With the Pro account can I set different prices for each customer? Say for example pictures of my son I dont want to make profit on my family... or if I do a shoot for a friend and dont want to charge them as much.

Have you checked out Zenfolio? They are $50 cheaper per year and a lot of new features. Here is mine attached below, just a thought. Both are very good....

Photography by Ed Newell

With the Pro account can I set different prices for each customer? Say for example pictures of my son I dont want to make profit on my family... or if I do a shoot for a friend and dont want to charge them as much.

You can custom set the prices for every gallery or for every image. If a friend wants a specific image of mine I'll set it up in it's own private gallery with the stock "no profit" price for them to order from.

Currently we do not allow you to set multiple pricing levels. You can work around this in a couple different ways: 1) You can set up an "assistant password" and give it to family and friends. NOTE: When they login with your assistant password, they will get access to all your galleries and be able to buy prints/gifts at the same wholesale prices you, as the owner can. help - Pros: How to set an Assistant password

Or 2) you can create a different gallery just for friends/family and password protect it and allow anyone to buy prints and gifts at wholesale rates or at a discount.

NOTE: We only track the sales of marked-up prints/gifts. So if you want to track your sales for friends/family, you should mark up your prices by at least .01cent.

Helpful?

Markham

Most reactions

Back