Snapping Turtles and Canada Geese

Joel Bolden

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was out in the kayak yesterday on our local mountain bog and noticed several female snapping turtles cruising the shallow waters looking for a boyfriend. Got close to all of them and took some of photos/video of this one. While chasing turtles I rounded one of the ancient stumps that have become small islands and scared this goose off her nest briefly. Grabbed a couple of quick egg pics before the Gander came charging at me; stopping about 4 feet from the boat and giving me that "look". Paddled out a ways and she climbed back on the nest and continued her long(28-30 day) ritual.
IMGP3456.L.jpg
IMGP3457.L.jpg
IMGP3464.l.jpg
IMGP3479.L.jpg
IMGP3481-2.L.jpg

It would have been better if we saw more of the Turtle......

It would have been better if we saw more of the Turtle......
Matter of perspective. When you're sitting in a 21 inch wide ocean kayak, standing up isn't recommended. I did get much closer, but they'd submerge and lay on the bottom in the murky water...boring shot. When I catch them in very shallow water, it's still a boring shot.
000211630005.jpg
All's not lost since the females will be coming onto land to lay their eggs and I always come across a few.

I appreciate that you risked ruining your gear out on the water in a not so stable type of boat. I do it myself and I always put mine in my dry bag and keep it there until I get to a subject and then I slowly take it out. (The camera that is.) I've taken some of my best photos of ospreys from my kayak, they can be very quiet if you're experienced with the paddles and it allows you to sneak up on them and get real close.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back