Snow Chickens (Willow Ptarmigan)

Low_Sky

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
1. Can you spot the snow chicken? White birds on white snow are hard to see, but this is a relatively easy one.
a6500-6506602 by Low_Sky, on Flickr

2. They're normally hiding in the morning, like this girl. . .
a6500-6506557 by Low_Sky, on Flickr

3. But the snowball in pic #1 is sitting out catching some morning sun.
a6500-6506620 by Low_Sky, on Flickr

So they are only seeing you out of one eye.

Lower right? :D
chicken.jpg

Seriously tho, this is a fantastic set.

Very well done!

Lol, you found him, Peeb!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great set! How close were you able to approach?

Great set! How close were you able to approach?

If I had had my hunting license with me, I'd have grabbed dinner. These birds have a lot of confidence in their winter camouflage and really aren't too fearful of humans. Bigger groups will usually have one nervous bird that flies and the rest go with, but singles and pairs tend to sit pretty tight in their winter plumage.

I was trying to get some shots of birds taking wing, but couldn't spot a bird that would hold still long enough for me to get ready, and take off far enough out to capture with the 100-400mm. Should have brought the 12mm for that shot, haha.

Very cool. I recall seeing these in my Field Guide to North American Wildlife book many years ago. Nice to see real photos (not drawings) of them in their habitat.

Very cool, never heard of them before.

For those not familiar, "snow chickens" is just a colloquial nickname for them. Willow Ptarmigan is the state bird of Alaska. We also have Rock Ptarmigan and White-Tailed Ptarmigan. Ptarmigan are small grouse, and their claim to fame is color changing. In summer they're all various shades of brown, and as winter approaches they molt all their feathers and turn white.
They're beautiful birds in all of their color phases, and they live in beautiful places to boot. I have a real soft spot for them.

Most reactions

Back