snow in the mountains

Judge Sharpe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shot these a couple of years ago in the Great Smoky Mountains. It was 35mm hand held, 135 Rikor f1.2. I don't think I used a polarizing filter, but should have. It was so cold the in-camera meter would not work and I had to guess at exposure. There may be some noise because these are low res. scans.

mtn3.jpg

mtn4.jpg

mtnphoto2.jpg

mtn10.jpg

mtn8.jpg

They all suffer from being a blown out. You might try checking your settings. What ISO did you use? I wouldn't go above 100 ISO for landscapes like these especially when you see a lot of noise in the image.

JudgeSharp says (clearly) in his post that the weather was so cold, the in-camera metre did not work and he had to GUESS at the settings. And he says this is film and low res scans.

Maybe that polariser that you did NOT use would REALLY have helped a lot here! Your guessed settings would have been more correct because of the sunglass-effect of the filter and all in all the photos would (possibly) have been more detailed, also colourwise.

I don't know how much your scanner "destroyed" the pics when you digitalised them for web-presentation... mine really wreaks havoc with scans from print! It is sooo bad.

I generally use a polarizing filter for shots such as these, but for some DA reason I did not. I think the film had an ISO (ASA) speed of 400, Which is too high for the bright reflected light of the snow. Also the colors seem a little weak. I pick up the film, Fuju, I think, from a drug store type place and I do not think it was well taken care of before purchase. They were shots of opportunity and as such were snapshots in essence. You have to love the older cameras, because I was able to capture an image- such as it is by manual manipulation only- no auto focus no meter no auto exposures. Try that with your DSLR. LOL
I still have the negatives and might try to do a higher resolution scan. But then again I might just file them away and move on.
LaFoto- I love your images from Lower Saxony. I would like to see more of them when you can get out.
Judge Sharpe

I know one of my favorite lenses is my 28mm and it doesn't work with the auto focus feature on my of my DX format. I am going to be getting the D700 before too long and that will correct that. Any way I like the compostion. Any chance getting back out there to try again?

Most reactions

Back