So I played with an 800mm lens

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Yep I really did!

First a 100% crop from a shot taken with a 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2
1/200sec, ISO 100, f8 - flash used to aid lighting
IMG_0466.jpg

And now from the 800mm
1/200sec, ISO 100, f8* - flash used to aid lighting
IMG_0465.jpg

Ok so not that amazing in subjects (its two books!) but each of those shots only went through RAW processing in defaults and only AAcountering sharpening was applied (ie standard same to both). For straight out of the camera the performance at 800mm (which as you've probably guessed is a pair of 2*TCs (sigma and canon M2) on the 70-200mm) is surprisingly good. Granted this is closer ranged stuff and its performance at distance might well suffer more significantly, but still its far and above what I'd expect with two TCs. I might actually try it properly in the field with a 2*TC and a 1.4TC and see how it goes.

* f8 on the camera, but one TC is not reporting to the camera so chances are its two stops down from there already - so yes not ideal for high shutter speed work with 4 stops of light lost.

Long distance photos of Canary Wharf of course - take the photos of the buildings outside of the range of the average security guard! ;)

Though its more to see how the lens coped with having two 2*TCs added to it and it did far better than I expected it to. Plus get a really bright day or a flash with a better beamer and one might just be able to edge enough light to get a decent long ranged shot otherwise not possible with only a 400mm lens. Plus it opens the possibility that shots with a 2*TC+1.4TC are usable.

I use the 1.4x and 2x TC on my 300 f/4L IS and really do not have a problem with the IQ. My fall back when I do not feel like lugging around the 400mm f/2.8. May be a tad soft at extreme distances, but is usable in a pinch. Post sharpening cleans up well. My friend does the same on her 300 f/2.8L IS and still gets AF.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back