So now my film is at Kodak on the other side of the country?

Ghoste

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Err, I dropped some slides off tuesday, come back today and the guy couldn't find them. Looked on a list and saw that it wasn't E6 it was like E46 or something? You probally know what it is. And apparently it's at Kodak getting developed. It's Kodachrome 400, or was it 200? I barely know anything about it because my mom had it and I used it. The man at the store started explaining it to me but didn't get to far. Could someone tell me about it?

Basically your film uses a different development process (E46)

My guess is they don't develop that film there so sent it to someone who could,

Kodachrome is K-14 process, and there are maybe 2 labs in the USA (and the world?) still processing it. With Kodak desperate to get out of the film business I don't expect Kodachrome will be around much longer.

Oh ok, yeah K-14. He said the film was sent to Kodaks lab.. so.. But what is the film? He said that it was like slide film but instead of the film having the colors on the slides it's in black and white and the color is brought out of it?

With Kodachrome (K-14), the color dyes are ADDED during the K-14 development process. With E-6 films (slides) the color dyes are already present in the film before processing. So I suppose Kodachrome is essentially a B&W slide film prior to the color dyes being added in the latter stages of the K-14 process.

Excerpt from a definition of K-14 process:
Kodachrome film has a different structure to its emulsion than other slide films. Whereas nearly all color films have dye couplers incorporated into the three emulsion layers to ensure that the correct dye forms in the correct layer when all three are developed at the same time, Kodachrome film does not. The correct color dye is added in the developing process by performing a second exposure and development of the layers one at a time and adding the dye during development.

Dang sounds complicated. No wonder they are stopping this process. The man at the store said the processing book on how to do this is like the size of a phone book.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back