Some Beach photos

tmartin2347

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are some photos I took last month during my lunch break at work. The ocean was somewhat rough because of a storm that ended a few days before these were taken.

IMG_2121.jpg

IMG_2169.jpg

IMG_2184.jpg

IMG_2203.jpg

I was using the automatic shooting modes, landscape and the green squared mode.
Now I'm trying to get more into the creative side of photography using tv, and the av mode.

Not bad snap shots. A little boring for me. I would have liked to have seen more sky or more ocean front. The horizon splits the pictures 50/50...:(

I think the last is the best for me. I do miss the beach.

Thanks for the pics!

The horizon splits the pictures 50/50...:(

That was my first thought. Try to keep it 1/3 sky 2/3 land or vice versa.

1-3 lack color, but they're not bad.

Last one is the best imo. I think the light post needs to disappear (easy edit) and maybe the houses too. Trim a little off the top even. That's a good one in my eyes though, for what it's worth :D

I'm glad you all liked it.

Trevor not only provided the image, but his comment about the previous days storm gave me the idea for a direction to take the edit.

The Photoshop mat and frame show how drama can be added to an image, either online or better yet, as a matted and framed
print.

Who can spot some of the nuances in the mat and frame I made.

"Who can spot some of the nuances in the mat and frame I made"

The mat edge isn't the same color all the way around is it? The top looks like it is a light gray.

"Who can spot some of the nuances in the mat and frame I made"

The mat edge isn't the same color all the way around is it? The top looks like it is a light gray.
Yep, it's a shadow effect.

I made the mat window using the Bevel/Emboss layer style (bevel, chisel hard, down) and that adds a shadow. I can select the angle of the light and some other parameters right there in the dialog box. For this mat window and all the other shadow effects I had the light up at 90°.

Prior to that though I put a very thin black border on the image, you can see it best in the lower right corner of the image.

The mat has an inner shadow, at the same 90° as the mat window, so it's a little darker at the top of the mat than at the sides and virtually no shadow at the bottom.

I then put another very thin black border on the mat. It's hard to see but it's there and it adds definition and a sense of sharpness to the inside edge of the frame.

The frame, also made using a Bevel/Emboss layer style (bevel, chisel soft, up, sized and softened.) and the light at 90° so the top of the frame is lit and the bottom is in shadow.

All that lends a sense of depth to the mat and frame.

This image doesn't have any significant shadows since it's a day with heavy overcast.

If I was matting and framing an image that did have shadows I would tend to use a light angle that matched the light angles in the image.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back