Some C&C for a Noob :)

H4X1MA

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I would like some C&C since I am rather new to all of this. As mentioned in another post, I bought my first cam (D3100)
around Febuary so i am still pretty noob. I recently discovered (yesterday) that I have my gamma settings on my
computer set to make all of my images look bright, so ever since I bought the cam I have unknowingly been making really dark images :(

This is a image is of an area that used to be a pond when I was younger. For some reason they drained it :(

Falls of Lana in VT. It's on the top 10 waterfalls to photograph in the Northeast I heard. 30 mins from home :)
I ask for C&C on this one because I was trying to do weird things with the rocks while still having the falls in
the background. I think it's kind of a fail though, foreground colors blew out big time.
Sharpened in PS using Lab color/Lightness/Unsharpen Mask 50, 50 0. I love the look that technique gives.

Can't beat a backyard snap. I used a photoshop effect I found online called Lomo on this one. I guess it was
a type of Camera a long time ago that was horrible, but when you used different developing techniques it would
have a really artistic effect. Not so much on this image, for this one it more dulled the colors and sharpened the detail.

Another backyard miracle. We had a Humming Bird come to our feeder every night and I sat there lens
hunting him for awhile. Minutes before "tripod hours" I managed to catch him perched in a tree above
the feeder. I might get this one blown up and printed to hang on the wall :D

Lake Bomoseen (VT) (m on the 3rd of July. There were fireworks over the left mountain but none got
high enough to grab a shot of. Although really dark (due to the monitor issue mentioend above :()
this is still one of my favs

#1 is nice, but it's way too white. I would maybe crop some of the sky out and/or fool around with colours (can't give you any specific instructions because I'm an idiot at post processing).

#2 - Yeah, the foreground is really blown out, but I don't know why you'd want a picture that's half close-up rocks and half waterfall. Is there a better place you could get a picture of the waterfall from? It looks like a really nice place to shoot, but the most interesting part of the picture is obscured by the rocks.

#3 is awesome, I love it. The only thing I don't like is the background; it's a little distracting. I know that's out of your control though...I know chipmunks don't take direction well.

#4 is nice, but there's so much going on that it distracts from the bird. It would have been nicer if the bird was on a single wire with nothing behind it, but again that's sort of out of your hands.

#5 is just boring to me. It's too dark or something. Longer exposure maybe? Take the picture earlier in the night? I'm not sure.

I recently discovered (yesterday) that I have my gamma settings on my
computer set to make all of my images look bright, so ever since I bought the cam I have unknowingly been making really dark images :(
Your D3100 can display a histogram of each photo on the back LCD. That histogram can be used to verify you have made a good exposure, not to dark, nor to bright.

See page 101 and 130 in your D3100 user's manual.

And I recommend the following, 2-part tutorial: Understanding Digital Camera Histograms: Tones and Contrast
and here are all the rest of the good tutorials on that web site: Digital Photography Tutorials

All of my pics so far have been in M mode, I never knew what the others really did and I didn't want to use the typical ones. Yesterday I read up a little on A and S modes and went out shooting today using those modes only. What a huge difference, which obviously means I am doing something wrong in manual mode. The A mode gave me a lot better sky color, not my typical blown out white sky garbage.

I knew there was a histogram but I never knew how to use it. I'll definitely give the tutorials a read

You also have to be aware of what metering mode the camera is set to: Spot, Center-weighted, or Matrix. (page 79 of your D3100 user's manual)

Most reactions

Back