some expert advise is needed

papatooth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
fellow motion stoppers, i would like some feedback about these 2 lens im thinking about buying.
first the canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM. i'm big into landscapes, will this get me more of a wider scene without a lot of image bending at the edges?

second the canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM. this is for all those missed nature shots like when a bald eagle sits and the top of a tree screaming and im using a 70-300 ready to kick a hole in the side of my car. :)

i was thinking about this one canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM, but then im stuck at only 400 with no way to back out if needed.
i will go to the photo store to look but i just wanted some ammo first. thanks everyone!!!!::

Last edited:
fellow motion stoppers, i would like some feedback about these 2 lens im thinking about buying.
first the canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM. i'm big into landscapes, will this get me more of a wider scene without a lot of image bending at the edges?

second the canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM. this is for all those missed nature shots like when a bald eagle sits and the top of a tree screaming and im using a 70-300 ready to kick a hole in the side of my car. :)

i was thinking about this one canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM, but then im stuck at only 400 with no way to back out if needed.
i will go to the photo store to look but i just wanted some ammo first. thanks everyone!!!!::

photoSIG » Lens: Canon 10-22

photoSIG » Lens: Canon EF 100-400L IS

And, for further interest:

http://10-20mm.com/

I've spent a lot of time debating the 100-400 vs. the 400 prime. I don't have the cash now, but will probably buy the prime. It's supposed to be a sharper lens and is much lighter. You zoom with your feet instead of the lens.

http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/browse?id=35962

Last edited:
I have the sigma 10-20 and love it. It is so fun to use I often use it as a walkaround lens just because there are so many creative ways to use it. I shoot mostly landscapes. No way you should go without this range. The canon should be a bit better than the sigma and I have yet to notice a flaw. At 10mm the distortion is pretty noticable, especially when shooting recognizable shapes like buildings and trees. I suppose the distortion will be similar on the canon.

I also have the 100-400L. In the little time i've had it, i've used the zoom to pull back every time i've used it. The push pull zoom is super handy and easy to use. I don't regret getting the zoom at all.

These are two lenses I could not go without. I use them both so often, that i've decided to go without a midrange zoom completely, instead opting for a cheap (but super sharp) 50 1.8 and a 100 ef macro.

Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens Review

I have the Canon EF-S 10-22 and absolutely love it. Besides landscapes, it's also very, very good at shooting indoors in cramped spaces; expecially when trying to capture a casual scene at say, a dinner party. You can get practically an entire room in frame standing in the corner. I have no experience with the third party ones, and the Canon is a bit expensive, but I consider it one of my best and favorite lenses.

My only expert advice would be to advise you about the proper use of the word advice, cuz I'm not nearly expert enough to advise someone about camera lenses... :D

Sorry, I'm a writer, not a photographer. ;)

I think you should go for the 100-400mm, a friend has that lens and he loves it!

My only expert advice would be to advise you about the proper use of the word advice, cuz I'm not nearly expert enough to advise someone about camera lenses... :D

Sorry, I'm a writer, not a photographer. ;)

grrrrr

I would go with the 100 to 400mm telephoto. The really wide, wide angle lenses such as the 10 to 22mm are specialty lenses that very much flatten a landscape at the 10 end. To use the wide end effectively you need to be very close to a large falls, hanging over the edge of a high canyon wall, halfway up a mountain that is very close to other mountains, etc. These kinds of photographic opportunities would not happen sufficiently often to warrant the cost for most people.

skieur

Most reactions

Back