Some from a walkabout today. C&C welcome

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took my new 85mm f/1.8 for it's inaugural walkabout today. I'm still amazed at how sharp this lens is. Here are the top 5 B&W edits from the day's adventure. I have a few others I took, but they'll find their homes in other galleries.. All taken with the 85mm, all handheld. C&C appreciated!

10733885594_b7cdaf38ec_b.jpg

10733876744_bf99154368_b.jpg

10733933016_1d06496830_b.jpg

10733866816_aa1f978d17_b.jpg

10734003726_6dc6346fcb_b.jpg

I guess my question would be is there any reason why you chose to go black and white on these?

Mostly due to color, or lack there of.. With the exception of the stop sign, the originals were nearly monochromatic to begin with. Not much color to be found these days at this latitude.. I thought that, despite the lack of color, these still had plenty of good tonal range to make good B&W's. Is there something about the edits that's not jiving with you?

I like 3 and 4 the best, but they are all nice!

Last edited:
I guess my question would be is there any reason why you chose to go black and white on these?

Mostly due to color, or lack there of.. With the exception of the stop sign, the originals were nearly monochromatic to begin with. Not much color to be found these days at this latitude.. I thought that, despite the lack of color, these still had plenty of good tonal range to make good B&W's. Is there something about the edits that's not jiving with you?

Well, my own aesthetic tastes probably differ from a lot of folks, but in all honesty? Not a huge fan of B&W photography. I find it for the most part overused and frankly generally pretentious. I've seen a few B&W shots that work - mostly portraits in which the B&W added a certain dramatic flare or on rare occasions a landscape or non-human subject in which the primary subject matter is old enough that it was around when B&W photography is all that was available. An old barn or steam engine, for example.

If it were me I would probably try to use the lack of color in the color shots to my advantage - place something colorful in the shot for contrast, perhaps an old scarf, an apple, an autumn leaf from a tree if you have one close enough by - something.

Odds are good I'm likely in the minority here - lord knows I see enough B&W out there to choke a horse - but I guess that's why it really doesn't do much for me personally. It's just been done to death.

Again, one man's humble opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

I admire your bravery. To go for a shooting session in an environment like that is like landing on Mars wearing just swim trunks and sunglasses. :thumbup: So, well done in the circumstances.

Well, my own aesthetic tastes probably differ from a lot of folks, but in all honesty? Not a huge fan of B&W photography. I find it for the most part overused and frankly generally pretentious. I've seen a few B&W shots that work - mostly portraits in which the B&W added a certain dramatic flare or on rare occasions a landscape or non-human subject in which the primary subject matter is old enough that it was around when B&W photography is all that was available. An old barn or steam engine, for example.

If it were me I would probably try to use the lack of color in the color shots to my advantage - place something colorful in the shot for contrast, perhaps an old scarf, an apple, an autumn leaf from a tree if you have one close enough by - something.

Odds are good I'm likely in the minority here - lord knows I see enough B&W out there to choke a horse - but I guess that's why it really doesn't do much for me personally. It's just been done to death.

Again, one man's humble opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

Totally understandable, and a different perspective on B&W edits. Personally, I love a good B&W edit. But, I can certainly see your point of view. Thanks for the feedback!

I admire your bravery. To go for a shooting session in an environment like that is like landing on Mars wearing just swim trunks and sunglasses. :thumbup: So, well done in the circumstances.

:lol: That's not an entirely inaccurate comparison... Thanks for the compliment!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back