What's new

Some more of those dang eggs

Rick50

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Jan 7, 2013
Messages
3,188
Reaction score
1,110
Location
San Diego, CA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shot some eggs for the local photo of the day here and thought I might post here too.
The first photo of eggs in a bowl does not use flash but the light comes from 3 skylights (2’x4’) in a high ceiling. It’s amazing just how much light
I get this way. You can see 2 reflections on the rim of the bowl and 2 shadows by the front leg from 2 of the skylights. And the white formica
came out relatively white (slightly gray). So this is pretty much the effect I was looking for.


No Flash:
i-gr4XcgT-L.jpg



In this next photo I used 2 flash units to overpower the room light. On the right is a flash with a large softbox (2’x3’) to give a large light source to create soft shadows.
On the left I put a 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] flash without a softbox with the idea of just creating a white background so it was pointed at the background. But to my surprise the light on the left spread out and overpowered the light on the right and became the key light and the softbox became the fill light.
You can see the 2 reflections on the front rim of the bowl with the left being harder light. Eggs came out very white with soft shadows.

I think I like this one better.
With Flash:
i-8mpd43w-L.jpg


By the way these are color photographs. C&C welcome....
 
I am very new to photography so my comments should be taken with a grain of salt but without even reading your post yet and from just a quick visual the first one appeals to me much more. The eggs seem much more defined, the shadow of the bowl is nicer in the first and unless my tired eyes are pulling tricks on me the second photo has an ever slight reddish tint to it, which doesn't seem natural.
 
I am very new to photography so my comments should be taken with a grain of salt but without even reading your post yet and from just a quick visual the first one appeals to me much more. The eggs seem much more defined, the shadow of the bowl is nicer in the first and unless my tired eyes are pulling tricks on me the second photo has an ever slight reddish tint to it, which doesn't seem natural.
You have a good eye. I didn't catch the red tint till I converted it to BW (here).
i-QLKf6zR-L.jpg
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom