Some random shots

Figment

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.just-stuff.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I finally got to actually PLAY with my camera a bit, not just picking it up and shooting. Wanted to get some input. Be gentle. This is my first SLR and I'm learning. :)

Number 1. Streaking down Wilshire

Streaking_down_Wilshire_by_XxFigmentxX.jpg

Number 2.
- Just a Flower
Flower_by_XxFigmentxX.jpg

Number 3. - A flag (I was kind of impressed with this actually. Playing with a friends 500MM Manual Lens.)
Patriotic_by_XxFigmentxX.jpg

Number 4. More Streaking. (I thought it turned out well, with my friend standing in the foreground. He didn't move, but didn't know I was shooting with him in frame either.)

Streaks_by_XxFigmentxX.jpg

Number 5. One of our Fountains at work. Was toying around with Shutter Speed a little.

Fountain_by_XxFigmentxX.jpg

So, fire away. How am I doing? What would you suggest I improve? What do you think of the pics? Thanks gang!
Also, none of these have been touched up. Straight off the camera. They were shot in JPG Format, so it's easier to pull em off the card at work. (Can't have Photoshop here. :(

I might bump the aperture down a tad in the long shutter speed shots to get more detail in the neon lights. Otherwise, fun shots!

I see you used flash in at least the flower shot and, I believe, the fountain shot. I would recommend not using on-camera flash unless you have no other option, due to the fact that it's not interesting light. If it's a hotshoe (removable), either take it off-camera with a cheap light stand (Adorama has generic brands that are good quality and very inexpensive) or, more simply, experiment with higher ISO, wider aperture or longer shutter speed.

You should try your long shutter speed method for the fountain if the light is too low; you'll get a pretty neat result.

I think for just starting out, you're on the right track. Keep being creative and experimenting! I hope I didn't overwhelm you with details! :)

#1 the streaks are nice, but you should get more of them :)
Keeping your camera on bulb and holding a black cardboard in front of the lens until a car goes by can help in capturing streaks on relatively quiet streets
Keep in mind your backgrounds as well. This is just a street. Look for fun road angles, interesting backdrops and what not to have your streaks in front of.

#2 really really watch those backgrounds. the flower gets easily lost in the tree behind it. The background here is way too busy and distracting.
The flower is too centered in the image, look up the rule of thirds for better composition. The flower as well is not a really nice one.

#3 this one came out pretty nice. Not sure if the centered image works or not. Nice detail and I like the flip in the flag in the wind. The colours may need a bit of saturation, just a tad, or maybe some PS level correction as the image is looking a bit flat.

#4 same as #1

#5 Get in closer with that camera! Thats why you have a dSLR and not a point in shoot. Fill the frame with your subject, look for angles, symetry, repeating lines and paterns.

The shutter effect was nice, I'd go with a bit slower shutter to give a more fluid look to the water. But yeah, get closer.
Keep up the practice though! You are definatly exposing nice, images are sharp. Work on the artistic side, composition and such. And watch those backgrounds!!

Thanks for the critique guys.
A LITTLE defense on my part :)
The flower shot was honestly just a quick "OOoo... a Flower!" Kind of shot. These were all done at work, during lunch. I'm still trying to learn the camera as it's my first SLR after having been mired by a Fujifilm P&S that's 5 years old.....
The flag picture was simply playing with a 500mm lens a buddy brought to work. I wasn't really trying for anything. I don't feel ready to move into lenses like that yet, but it was fun to play with it.
The fountain shot was with my SB400 Flash mounted. I'm going to try off-camera stuff soon. There's an adapter I've been looking at, but I want to get a better flash first. The 400 has been a great starter flash, but I want something with settings, and IR Control. I think the 800 is up my alley, but out of my price range right now.
I'm actually going to attempt some water drops here in a week or two, once things at work calm down and I have some time to set it up. I've checked out a few websites, but haven't gotten into much detail because I want to try it out myself first, and see if I can spot my mistakes and improve on them.
I agree with the plain-ness of the street. But being at work, and on lunch, I didn't have much time to go anywhere else. Going to try some more tonight. I'll post em later on, see if I've done a little better.
Thanks again for the advice guys. I shall take everything under advisement, and try to improve. :)

I just looked up the Rule of Thirds. I'm going to try and pay more attention to it tonight on lunch. Can't wait to see how I do. I really want to make a serious go at this as a hobby, so all this advice is AWESOME. :D

Ok, so I played around a little more the other night. Here's some other shots:

This was me practicing framing, the rule of thirds, and toying with exposure and such. The result was just too neat not to post. (IMHO anyway)

Red_Sky_by_XxFigmentxX.jpg

I think I still have a lot of practice ahead of me in regards to framing and such
CBS_Broadcast_Center_by_XxFigmentxX.jpg

Here I must have fired off 12 shots of this one picture with different settings.... With flash...without...long exposure...not so long.. This was the best. Too green? Too Bright?

Museum_Square_by_XxFigmentxX.jpg

Last but not least, one of my streak shots. This one...I thought turned out well. :)

Even_More_Streaks_by_XxFigmentxX.jpg

Most reactions

Back