Some speedway shots from Poland

Davidf.Poland

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
ŻKS ROW Rybnik - Speedway Wanda Instal Kraków (50:40)
8910520231_70fd574acf_o.jpg

8911140994_fb2c94b18d_o.jpg

8911139948_ba2c4ba9db_o.jpg

8910516545_7c62f177a1_o.jpg

8910515063_0ce21a37f4_o.jpg

Nice captures!

My personal opinion: don't crop so tightly on the riders. Giving them more space in the frame provides a better sense of movement and direction.

Not to many Americans know what Speedway racing is. They don't know the bikes have just a single gear, up to 500 cc single cylinder engines, and that having brakes on the bike is not allowed.
Some Americans have competed in European Speedway. American Greg Hancock was the 2011 Wold Champion. Billy Hamill is another recent American racing Speedway in Europe.

Here in the USA Speedway has only been popular in and around Los Angeles, and then on tracks shorter than the tracks used in Europe.

Your photos are well focused and it looks that you have good panning technique.

I agree a bit more frame in the direction of movement would make the photos somewhat more dynamic.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are all really good. My only complaint is #3 with the focus being on the second guy but overall I like them all.

The highlights are majorly blown out in the first couple of shots.

Are you shooting RAW (or setting your camera to minimum possible contrast if not)?

If so, I'm not sure what else you could do, really to get the higher dynamic range you need. Flash would be ineffective (if even allowed or close enough), because the problem is high contrast suits and bikes, not subject vs. background. Neutral density gradients won't help for the same reason (local not global contrast). Can't do HDR because they're fast moving subjects.

My only remaining suggestion (if you're already using RAW and still getting too much contrast) would be going back and shooting again on a more overcast day if possible, since this seems to be a facility that has races at it on a regular basis.

The highlights are majorly blown out in the first couple of shots.

Are you shooting RAW (or setting your camera to minimum possible contrast if not)?

If so, I'm not sure what else you could do, really to get the higher dynamic range you need. Flash would be ineffective (if even allowed or close enough), because the problem is high contrast suits and bikes, not subject vs. background. Neutral density gradients won't help for the same reason (local not global contrast). Can't do HDR because they're fast moving subjects.

My only remaining suggestion (if you're already using RAW and still getting too much contrast) would be going back and shooting again on a more overcast day if possible, since this seems to be a facility that has races at it on a regular basis.

I'm shooting in JPG without flash. I didn't know so far what was the reason that the highlights were so blown out on my photos, but after Your post I know what it is, I had bad contrast settings in my camera. I took some shots with different contrast settings I think I know how to use it correctly. Thanks very much for Your advices. :)

You might want to use a bit slower shutter speed so the tires and spokes are motion blurred a bit more. It helps convey a sense of speed.

Great action shots. But it looks like you lost details on the white and it is overexposed. What setting did you shoot at?

You might want to use a bit slower shutter speed so the tires and spokes are motion blurred a bit more. It helps convey a sense of speed.

Yeah, I know... ;)
something lik this...? :)

8806306665_f0b1f8ffce_o.jpg

Great action shots. But it looks like you lost details on the white and it is overexposed. What setting did you shoot at?

1/2000, F2.8, ISO 100
Like in my post higher, I know what was wrong in my camera settings ;)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back