Sony A390 vs. Nikon D3000?

zarah

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey there!

I am looking to buy my first DSLR camera for a photography class. I am just begining so I dont want to get anything to expensive or hard to handle. From what I have researched, I am considering buying either the Sony Alpha 390 or the Nikon D3000? Both come with a standard 18-55mm lens.
If you were in my position what do you think would be the better camera to buy?
Any thoughts on these cameras?

Thanks!

Go to your local camera store and handle both these cameras. See which one you like the feel of better. You may also check out any used cameras they have there as well.

The D3000 is a Nikon. The Sony is a Sony. That means the Nikon is part of one of the oldest, biggest photography systems on the planet, while the Sony one means its part of a company that makes alarm clocks and stereos. The D3000 is designed by a real "CAMERA COMPANY", while the A390 was brought to yuo by a company that thinks it's a good idea to have a brand-specific flash coupler on the camera.

If you'd like to have a Sony video camera, and a Sony Walkman, and a Sony clock radio, and to that collection of electronics add a Sony camera,well then, I guess I can see the allure of the A390.

Sony bought the camera and photo portion of Konica/Minolta in 2006, ending a 78-year Minolta history as a camera manufacturer. Minolta developed the odd-ball, non-standard iSO hot shoe design that Sony inherited.

The industry standard hot shoe is the ISO 518:2006.

Time will tell if Sony does or doesn't capture a significant share of the world-wide DSLR marketplace.

I'm a Nikon shooter and don't know much about Sony's current camera lineup.

i'm suggesting you take a history lesson because you couldn't be more wrong about this. first of all sony bought minolta in 2006 and to make facts true, minolta made a SLR camera about 15 years earlier than the first nikon slr. and if you say that sony makes alarm clocks and stereos and that's why they can't make good cameras, than you should know that nikon is part of the mitsubishi company..so that means that it's ok..they make cars..go buy a camera..right? :thumbdown:
At least Sony makes electronics, displays, tv's ..stereos and alarm clocks as you stated..not cars..
and for "le coup de grace" nikon d40 and d60 are equiped with a sony make sensor..so..is it a good idea to buy a camera from a real "CAMERA COMPANY" which buys sensors from a company that makes alarm clocks?
The D3000 is a Nikon. The Sony is a Sony. That means the Nikon is part of one of the oldest, biggest photography systems on the planet, while the Sony one means its part of a company that makes alarm clocks and stereos. The D3000 is designed by a real "CAMERA COMPANY", while the A390 was brought to yuo by a company that thinks it's a good idea to have a brand-specific flash coupler on the camera.

If you'd like to have a Sony video camera, and a Sony Walkman, and a Sony clock radio, and to that collection of electronics add a Sony camera,well then, I guess I can see the allure of the A390.

I think the D7000 and the Pentax K-5 also have Sony sensors if I'm not mistaken.

Just pick the one that feels best in your hands and has controls/menus that make sense to you. You can create great art with either camera. Nit picking about gear is a sure way to stifle any creativity you may have.

I think the D7000 and the Pentax K-5 also have Sony sensors if I'm not mistaken.
Nikon designs their own sensors. Sony manufactures them to Nikon's specifications, for Nikon.

Sony uses Nikon steppers in their photolithography process used by Sony to make their integrated circuits. Stepper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nikon make a fairly broad range of optics for applications other than photography.

Nikon recently began designing the sensors for their high-end cameras. Most Nikons sold now and in use have stock Sony sensors. Also of interest -- Nikon's DSLR firmware is engineered by Fujitsu.

Nikon designs and sells excellent cameras, so does Sony. So much of what we buy these days can be traced back to sources behind "The Brand."

You can always tell a Nikon owner, but not much !

i never said that nikon buys thrown out sensors or something like that. a camera now is made like any car you'll find on the market: the engine from a company, rest of the parts from other companies and some made "in house". i said that because it does not matter that sony makes alarm clocks and stereos..and other electronics and nikon makes only cameras. the fact is that sony bought minolta(which is about the same age as nikon) and nikon was bought by mitsubishi( which makes cars) so it doesn't really matter who makes what..it only matters the product. honestly i have a sony alpha 200, which is kinda old now but still runs smooth and with the right accesories you can take really good shots. it all depends on what you want to do with the camera. sony has a slightly easier menu than nikon, but harder to find accesories(that's the main problem with sony). and for example the battery inside sony alpha 200 is better than any battery i came across from nikon,canon,olympus. pros and cons you can find at anything.

just a few examples with sony: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gogonea_alexandru/

Last edited:
can't make good cameras, than you should know that nikon is part of the mitsubishi company..so that means that it's ok..they make cars..go buy a camera..right? :thumbdown:

Just a clarification, Nikon is part of the Mitsubishi Group which contains a wide variety of companies ranging from insurance to banking. Nikon does not make cars or is part of the car company in the group. =)

Even more specifically Nikon is a member of the Mitsubishi keiretsu, a type of Japanese business group that has interlocking business relationships and shareholdings.

Note that Sony is a member of the Mitsui keiretsu.

Each keiretsu is centered around a bank or small group of banks which then loans money to the keiretsu's members while the banks also hold equity positions in the member companies.

For example the Mitsui keirestsu is aligned with Sumitomo Mitsui Bank, Sony Financial, and Sony Bank, while the Mitsubishi keiretsu is aligned with the Bank of Tokyo - Mitsubishi UFJ, and Mitsubishi Trust and Banking.

can't make good cameras, than you should know that nikon is part of the mitsubishi company..so that means that it's ok..they make cars..go buy a camera..right? :thumbdown:

Just a clarification, Nikon is part of the Mitsubishi Group which contains a wide variety of companies ranging from insurance to banking. Nikon does not make cars or is part of the car company in the group. =)

dude u really need to learn what sarcasm means..
actually i was only responding to what derell said about sony not being a real camera company because it also make stereos and alarm clocks..

dude u really need to learn what sarcasm means..

Paragraphs. Use them.

Communicating poorly and blaming others for misunderstanding is not helpful for anyone involved.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back