Sony Alpha 77 & Lenses

malhyp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there, I have a Sony A77 which was given to me a few years back. Have been using it lately and looking at buying a few lenses for it. I am a little confused as to which lenses I can buy as most of them are no longer available from retail stores, buying second hand. I did a little research and some lenses seem to have the motor in them and others not, I believe that the camera has the motor that drives the zoom built into it.

Does anyone know what I need to look for? I understand that it should be an A Mount lens but when looking into them I come up with SSM, SLT, SAM, HSM, RXD and so on. Can anyone help with an explanation about what I should be looking for?

One that I was looking at was the DT 16-50mm F/2.8 SSM SAL1650 but looking for a few more.

Thanks

Mal

Yes, the A77 can use motor/gear driven focus lenses and also the newer SAM/SSM lenses which have a focus motor built in.

Yes, A-mount ... not E or FE mount.

All Minolta Maxxum lenses are gear driven. Some older Minolta AF lenses had a power zoom (I think Sony has a couple also).

Sony - SAM = smooth autofocus, SSM = SuperSonic motor ... SSM is better than SAM

Sigma - HSM = hypersonic motor
Tamron - RXD = Rapid eXtra-silent stepping motor

PZ refers to power zoom

Sony Lens Abbreviations

The SAL1650 is an excellent lens. Very high IQ and fast, best "kit" lens Sony ever bundled.

HI Dennis that's great, was worried that some fit but not work as they should, appreciate your explanation, helps.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back