• 24.6-megapixels
  • Full Frame 35mm (35.9×24.0 mm) CMOS sensor
  • 3 frames per second
  • SteadyShot image stabilization
  • Viewfinder features 0.98x frame coverage & 0.74x magnification
  • 9 AF points w/ 10 supplementary AF points
  • Sensitivity range of 0 to 18EV
  • ISO 100-6400
  • Flash sync: 1/250s (SteadShot deactivated); 1/200s (SteadyShot activated)
  • CF card and Memory Stick Duo compatibility
  • 3.0-inch LCD at 921,600 dot resolution
Sony A850 Full Manual Leaked » Photography Bay | Digital Camera Reviews, News and Resources

Just by the specs, it sounds like a lumbering behemoth of a camera... a studio photographer's kind of camera. 3-FPS and just under 25mp. 50-60 MB RAW files anyone? :lmao:

I am guessing that Sony is trying to get the attention of those that are considering a Full-Frame DSLR ... by making a slightly cheaper version of the a900.

Jerry wrote: "Just by the specs, it sounds like a lumbering behemoth of a camera... a studio photographer's kind of camera. 3-FPS and just under 25mp. 50-60 MB RAW files anyone?"

I'm not sure what Jerry means by "lumbering behemoth": the camera is supposed to be virtually identical to the Sony a900,which weighs 850 grams or 30 ounces. The Canon 5D Mark II weighs 900 grams WITH battery, or about 31.5 ounces. The Nikon D700 would be the heaviest enthusiast's camera, at 35 ounces or 995 grams with no battery. I'm not quite sure how the s850 would be a "behemoth",since it would be the lightest of the three full-frame enthusiasts' camera bodies listed here,and similar in size to the few other cameras in its class.

His comments on the RAW file sizes are also way,way off. I have no idea where he's getting this 50 to 60 megabyte RAW file nonsense from. The facts are easily available.
Digital Camera Resource Page First Look: Sony Alpha DSLR-A900

The a900's Large RAW (24 Megapixel) file size at 3:2 aspect ratio is 38.5 megabytes, while the Large cRAW is 25.6 megabytes. RAW+JPEG is 48.8 megabytes.

The Large, 3:2 aspect ratio JPEGs are 23.3 Megabytes in Extra Fine compression, and only 10.2 Megabtyes in Fine compression,and 6.8 megabytes in Standard compression.

So "just by the specs" it sounds a lot like the Canon 5D Mark II--a camera popular with a lot of different types of shooters who want a light,compact,high-resolution camera offering high megapixel count, along with a multitude of capture size options in large,medium,and small raw and compressed raw options.

I'm not sure what Jerry means by "lumbering behemoth": the camera is supposed to be virtually identical to the Sony a900,which weighs 850 grams or 30 ounces. The Canon 5D Mark II weighs 900 grams WITH battery, or about 31.5 ounces.

His comments on the RAW file sizes are also way,way off. I have no idea where he's getting this 50 to 60 megabyte RAW file nonsense from. The facts are easily available.
Digital Camera Resource Page First Look: Sony Alpha DSLR-A900

The a900's Large RAW (24 Megapixel) file size at 3:2 aspect ratio is 38.5 megabytes, while the Large cRAW is 25.6 megabytes. RAW+JPEG is 48.8 megabytes.

Oh boy... here we go. Let me baby talk you though this. :)

First of all, there is no malice or insult intended against Sony. The "behemoth" reference is for the 3FPS specification. That is slooooow. This camera was obviously not intended for much anything else outside the studio. The 24+ MP is also evidence of this.

The 50-60mb size is NOT intended to be an EXACT number, but based on my experience that with MY D700 which is 12.1MP. I see 25mb files, and I can prove that, if needed (hopefully, I'll not need to bore people with that).

You mentioned the 5DmkII, which has a similar 24+MP rating to the Sony... becuase I mentor with a man with this camera, and *I* am the one that transfers the RAW files from CF card to laptop, I can promise you that his files are in the 50-55mb range. Oh, the Sony's are only *just* under 49mb? WOW, big difference! :lol:

Let's get over it, shall we? If you have some personal agenda, PM me... don't bore the forum members with your prose. ;)

Let's get over it, shall we? If you have some personal agenda, PM me... don't bore the forum members with your prose. ;)

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I have no issue with you, only with the wildy inaccurate statements made,like "behemoth" and lumbering and 50-60 megabyte raw files. None of which is anywhere near accurate. The camera is lighter than competing models. Hardly a behemoth.

If you don't know anything about the size of a camera's files, then do not speculate without any basis in fact.

I will always seek to correct, in OPEN forum, mistakes and patently wrong statements made in OPEN FORUM. Why would I PM somebody when he makes a series of erroneous statements in open forum?

Its a damn fine camera I am sure. 24 MP is sweet. I wouldn't trade my 5DII for anything less. Monster prints if needed, or near endless cropping possibilities! I look forward to future reviews.

The specs of the Sony a950 would be very interesting when they release it

a900 upgrade = a950
a700 upgrade = a750 and a850

I will always seek to correct, in OPEN forum, mistakes and patently wrong statements made in OPEN FORUM. Why would I PM somebody when he makes a series of erroneous statements in open forum?

I think you need to reconsider what a fast camera is... and it is NOT a 3 FPS camera. It is a slow lumbering but functional camera that has only ONE viable place of focused use. A STUDIO.

I think you need to acknowledge the fact that this shall NEVER be a low noise high ISO award winner. I think you need to acknowledge that this camera has a VERY tight niche... and that is INSIDE a studio. It sure isn't as a wedding photographer's top 10 choice, and it is not a even close to being in any sport shooter's top 200 list.

If you like or do not like my opinion, I could not care less. It doesn't change what this camera was designed for one bit.

Jerry, you wrote that this upcoming full-frame Sony would create "50-60 megabyte RAW files"....WRONG. patently, totally wrong. You did no research on file size,obviously. How about a 25.6 megabyte compressed Large RAW??

"behemoth".....WRONG, it's perfectly in-line with the size AND weight of ALL full-frame
d-slr cameras. You obviously did not look up the size and weight of competing cameras when you made your negative,erroneous statements.

Your opinions I understand, but your FACTS were quite wrong. Wrong on file size, wrong on chracterization of size and wrong on weight....

The marketplace will determine how much of an audience the camera earns. There are rumors that predict the price will be quite low for a full-frame 24.5 megapixel d-slr, as Sony tries to earn more street credibility.

Frankly Jerry, I am surprised that you're still stinging about a post I let die 10 days ago, but since the thread was resurrected today, I guess you need to do a bit more ego-salving and bashing.

You have an incredible talent for selective reading.

I don't even want to bother with people like you anymore, you are not worth the effort of even getting me started (ie people who fabricate whatever BS they want in their minds to suite their reality). Welcome to my iggie list and have a good day.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back