Sony NEX-6 nomenclature

smcbuki

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I'm looking for affordable camera for 1080p video. I was looking and looking for weeks and it seems to me that this camera offers the most bang for buck.
I live in Serbia and there is only one model - NEX-6L. What does this "L" stand for? I guess it only means that it comes with a 16-50 lens, but I'm not sure.
Also, I've found some other models on the internet like 6L/B and 6/B. Can someone please clarify this nomenclature?
Is there a better solution for my needs than this camera?

If you are only interested in it for video, and if it's available to you, you might want to consider the BlackMagic Pocket Cinema. It's a bit more expensive, but it's a much better camera for video.

I believe the "L" refers to the package with lens for purchasing purposes.
The body only is named NEX-6/B ... and the one with the 16-50mm is named NEX-6L/B

If you are only interested in it for video, and if it's available to you, you might want to consider the BlackMagic Pocket Cinema. It's a bit more expensive, but it's a much better camera for video.

Hi. Thanks for reply. I was considering buying the BM Pocket Cinema and it really is better for video, no argue, but I'm going to shoot most of my videos from hand and I won't be using tripod very often and BM does not have a viewfinder which makes it a bit more difficult to operate when shooting from hand (I think so... maybe I'm wrong).

Hello. Thanks for reply. So, those are not different cameras just different buying options.

Hi. Thanks for reply. I was considering buying the BM Pocket Cinema and it really is better for video, no argue, but I'm going to shoot most of my videos from hand and I won't be using tripod very often and BM does not have a viewfinder which makes it a bit more difficult to operate when shooting from hand (I think so... maybe I'm wrong).

That does make sense. They do have finders that attach to the backs of DSLRs, I don't know if they have one for the pocket. I've heard something a while back about the NEX-6 being prone to overheating. I'd imagine that this issue has been resolved by now, but might be something you'd want to look into.

That does make sense. They do have finders that attach to the backs of DSLRs, I don't know if they have one for the pocket. I've heard something a while back about the NEX-6 being prone to overheating. I'd imagine that this issue has been resolved by now, but might be something you'd want to look into.

I believe that was NEX-5. That issue was resolved with NEX-5R. NEX-6 is ok.

Most reactions

Back