Soooooooo, traditional wet shaving?

Compaq

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How many traditional wet shavers are there? Me, myself, are becoming fairly experienced with this. I've been on it one year now, and totally LOVE it. Soo much better.

I've gotten a GEM Ever-Ready 1924 for Christmas, and I can't wait till I have blades for it. Apparently, it makes a hell of a sound when using it. Me likes!!

Here's my equipment in shaving:

Razors:
Merkur 34C
One Gillette Rocket (unsure about year)
Gillette oldtype
Gillette Goodwill
some odd Gillette aluminum old type looking razor
GEM Ever-Ready 1924
a couple of unidentified ones. Gillette, though

Brushes:
Omega Boar brush (silver plastic handle)
Cerrus boar (really cheap, 4 euros in Switzerland)
Custom made by Rudy Vey: buffalo horn 5 cm, 24mm knot, 4 cm loft

soaps:
Trumper's Limes
Fitjar Fjellheim

Creams:
Proraso Green
Casswell-Massey Greenbriar

After shaves:
Proraso liquid milk
spenol lubricating creme

several brands of blades, most often using Astras

Here's a pic of my student shave den :) (no C&C, please ;) )
IMAG0034.jpg

Shaving greetings from Compaq :thumbup:

I used to have 100's of razors, still have a small collection. In fact, I sold off enough razors to buy my first DSLR kit. ;)

I've had the rarest Super Speeds (including both versions of the TV), the Toggle, in box WWI and WWII issue razors, etc, etc, etc.

Every now and then I still treat myself to a proper shave, but I got out of it about a year ago.

Brings back some memories!

I have an in-box Gem sitting next to me now in fact. :)

Here's one of the old sites I had with my database and reviews lol:
http://sites.google.com/site/shavelog/

That's awesome, I want a super speed!

Ever considered going back? Compare a classic shave with DSLRs. With the traditional gear, you have can adjust your shave to fit your needs and likes in a much greater way than what Gillette provides with their "razors".

Gillette is just brainwashing us, I think. The only thing Gillette wants is to make money, not provide us with the "best a man can get". Using at least proper lather from a soap of cream with a brush, instead of that Crap-on-a-Can they sell today, would be a huge improvement. Using the traditional is actually taking care of our skin, as well as removing facial hairs!

Gillette has lost it, focuses on the wrong thing, as most manufacturers today: MONEY. What happened to giving us something that lasts? I mean, a DE razor, or a straight razor, will last us a life time. We can hand it down to our kid, who gives is to their kid. Gillette razors are cheap plastic that don't do anything especially good.

got into a little rant there. It's true, though! For Norwegians, read this (a school project at the uni. htlm page)

Tradisjonell vtbarbering

Eh, I bought into all that too when I first got into it.

Razor doesn't matter as much as the prep, then comes the lubricant, then comes the razor. I prefer a product called Kiss My Face, I find I can get a great shave with any razor but the shaving cream/lotion/gel is what makes the difference.

Just like photography, Proper technique = Greater than the product.

And yes, I have shaved my head with a double edge razor - many times. :)

Agreed. Proper lather from proper products is much more important than the razor. I've heard much good about Kiss my face. Never used it myself, though, never found it in any Norwegian shops.

The main reason for me using traditional razors are these:

- the environment
- being nostalgic (even if I'm only 19, soon 20, years old)
- having something to hand down generations
- I think it's cool and looks good on the shelf :)
- believe it or not, girls like it :) you know, standing out from the crowd ;)

I do!

Joy is slicker than anything ever!
And Bics are great!

But how much of your face/neck do you actally shave???:mrgreen:

Not a whole lot nowadays, but I've been using Joy from very early on in my shaving career. I kept my head shaved for 2 years not too long ago. Joy is awesome for shaving.

You're living in Plato's cave. You're seeing shadows, mere imitations, of the idea/form a good shave. Fortunately, for you, you can train yourself to stop seeing shadows and getting the insight necessary for living the Good Life. And you won't even have to attend Plato's Academy, just switch to traditional gear ;)

God bless Examen Philosophicum :lol:

Yes, switch to traditional gear and make your next post via carrier pigeon.

:roll:

To conclude, the traditional way of ridding oneself of one's facial hairs is the best......

.... according to me :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back