Sorry To Talk Legs and Heads Again...

sween

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, here's the short version of me and my tripod. About ten years ago, give or take, I spent somewhere around $300 US for Manfrotto-Bogen legs and the same brand tilt/pan head. Shortly thereafter, I bought M-B ball head.

OK, this is great gear. It's also heavy gear. And I'm going to guess that there have been some serious improvements in tripods and heads from an operational and weight standpoint over those ten years. The weight and clumsiness of this pod and legs is making it less and less attractive, while I really feel like using support more and more. (I really love doing long exposure night photography.)

My standard body and lens is a D200 with Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-200mm but there are other lenses on my camera from time. My guess is that they all weigh roughly the same. Between body and lens, I think I'm looking at three pounds total, so anything with a couple pounds wiggle room capacity, 4-5 pounds, should be adequate.

Without spending more than $150, and preferably less, what tripod/head combos or one piece tripods are good for my needs? Those needs, obviously, are light of weight and ease of use.

If you have time, I would really love to hear what you think. Thanks!

If you want a light weight tripod go with carbon fiber. But for $150 I doubt you can buy a good quality carbon fiber tripod. Add a nice ball head will cost you another few hundred. Why can't you transfer your old ball head to the new tripod?

If you want a light weight tripod go with carbon fiber. But for $150 I doubt you can buy a good quality carbon fiber tripod. Add a nice ball head will cost you another few hundred. Why can't you transfer your old ball head to the new tripod?

Hey, you're right, both of my heads would/should fit some tripods. I guess the question is which ones? Would they only fit M/F legs? I really don't know, but thanks.

Hey, you're right, both of my heads would/should fit some tripods. I guess the question is which ones? Would they only fit M/F legs? I really don't know, but thanks.
Whoa, you lost me there. What are M/F legs?

OOOPS! Meant Manfrotto/Bogen...or is that Bogen/Manfrotto? So sorry.

Whatever. How about some tripod suggestions that don't cost a head and a leg. There HAS to be something out there for $150 or less that will work, and that's not a PIA to lug around. Help!

OOOPS! Meant Manfrotto/Bogen...or is that Bogen/Manfrotto? So sorry.

Whatever. How about some tripod suggestions that don't cost a head and a leg. There HAS to be something out there for $150 or less that will work, and that's not a PIA to lug around. Help!
The problem is, you're looking at the wrong brand. www.giottos.com

Check out the MT line.

Most good tripod legs (Manfrotto included) use a standard size lug screw (3/8-16, if I remember correctly), so you should have no difficulty switching your heads over to a new pod.

What model ballhead do you have ?

Both heads are Manfrotto Bogen but I have no idea what the model # of either is. Both are roughly ten years old, in great shape, and work just fine. I'll take a look as to model.

The Giottos look pretty good. And their light, which is what I'm after. Thanks.

Most reactions

Back