Speedlite 550EX question

Sharkbait

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.whitesharkphoto.com
I've got this flash, and I'm not sure if it's the only speedlite that has this feature or not. There's a little diffuser plate that pulls out of the flash head, then flips down over the flash lens. The manual calls it a 'wide angle' diffuser. It doesn't look anything like a softbox, but is it supposed to have that same general effect (widening and softening the flash)?

The minolta 5600 has the same type of diffuser attachment, but it's practically worthless as a diffuser since it is the same size as the lens (the glass or bulb or whatever you call the clear cover over the tube) and fits right up against it. It's less effective than a handkerchief over the flash attachment in my case.

I think it's supposed to make the flash work at wide angle (24mm in case of the Minolta).

the little drop down cover is for when you're shooting at small focal length. If you watch the display on the back, it will change as you change the focal length on a zoom lens (at least it will if you have the lens on TTL) if you flip that cover down, it will automatically switch to 28mm (I believe, something like that) It just widens the flash area, and softens it a little bit. It isn't a reliable soft box effect or anything like that. Using it as such will probably just frusturate.

Alan

the diffuser will soften because it directs the flash to a wider pattern to use with any lenses wider than 28mm so you won't get that hot spot light look.

get a bounce card if you want to really soften the flash many of the advanced flash had a pre exposer that shoots out a few flashes to meter by or you can just adjust your exposer yourself. You can spend some money on a lumiquest bounce set or get creative and buy some white poster board and make your own. Same difference.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back