Spring is here...

Formatted

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jawns.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I've got used to the weight of the 600mm and started walking a bit further with it, I went down to my usual spot and saw my friend the Ringed Teal.

#1 Ringed Teal

He's back!
Camera Nikon D3S
Exposure 0.001 sec (1/1250)
Aperture f/8.0
Focal Length 1200 mm
ISO Speed 1000

#2 Ringed Teal

Ringed Teal
Camera Nikon D3S
Exposure 0.001 sec (1/1600)
Aperture f/5.6
Focal Length 850 mm
ISO Speed 1000​

I then went to a different place that was a bit of a drive, I've completely messed up my poor car that isn't used to long trips, but hay ho. Got some shots that I'm happy with that I'll post in a few days but until then a little taster.

#3 Tufted Duck

Tufted Duck
Camera Nikon D3S
Exposure 0.001 sec (1/1600)
Aperture f/5.6
Focal Length 850 mm
ISO Speed 1000
Exposure Bias +1/3 EV*

* Was using spot metering to try and get accurate expose on the birds not the reflected water from the light.​

C&C is always welcome, questions are to!

I think you really need to work on your composition. None of these look great to me and all of them are centered. You do have a crisp focus and good colors and white balance but I fell like that is all you have going for you in these images.

No hard feelings but I feel like composition should be one of the first things you learn and judging by your setup, you should know a thing or two about photography so no excuses.

No hard feelings but I feel like composition should be one of the first things you learn and judging by your setup, you should know a thing or two about photography so no excuses.

I'm always up for feedback, the rule of thirds doesn't always work on the horizontal it can also work on the vertical, that is what I've done with pic 1 and 2. Pic 3 is a bit different, the circumstances in which it was taken are different from 1 and 2 in the fact it was from a higher position not to low to the water, but the use of the water splash on the right hand side of the picture is part of the subject not just the bird and so thus making it a vertically lined rule of thirds picture. But I will admit as far as well composed photos go these aren't my best :)

I wish there was something more in the pictures other than the ducks, the third one would have came out nicer is you where close, that thing looks so evil too great colors.

Excellent colour and focus but I tend to agree with Snakeguy and Davor in that the compositional theme could be improved upon. Less centering of your subject. On photo 3 in particular, more wake along the right-side portion would have made a more interesting photo and maybe waiting for a more oblique angle of the duck.

I like the low angle shots in (pic's 1 & 2). Your Tufted Duck looks like our Ring Necked Ducks here in Florida

Most reactions

New Topics

Back