Thank you all for your kind words.
This was kind of a hard critter to shoot. He was in a very dark display, behind glass that was not particularly clean. After getting out the windex (yes, I actually carry windex and wipes) and cleaning it off, I used my SB-600 to bounce off the top of the display, and it was really hard finding an exposure that didn't blow out the yellows... I couldn't use the flash very strong because I didn't want to disturb the snake (my goal is to take his picture, not hurt his eyes with my flash). Additionally, I put on a rubber lens hood so I could put the lens directly up against the glass to limit the flash/glass glare as much as possible... it was a double window as I recall, which are hideous to shoot through...
It is a bit softer than I would like, but that comes from having to shoot though a couple of layers of glass at a slight angle... the glass used in caging most certainly isn't photographic quality or multicoated, so there is always going to be image degradation. Still, you use what you have, and that's what I had.
I tried several apertures before I settled on the one I used... I also set the focus manually to his eye, dropping my focus point directly on where the eye meets the eyelid to get the best focus area.