mg7072xf3.jpg

Here are my setting on it
Camera make : Canon
Camera model : Canon EOS 5D
Date/Time : 2009:02:08 11:09:12
Resolution : 600 x 400
Orientation : rotate 270
Flash used : No
Focal length : 105.0mm (35mm equivalent: 105mm)
CCD width : 35.94mm
Exposure time: 0.0100 s (1/100)
Aperture : f/8.0
ISO equiv. : 100
Whitebalance : Manual
Light Source : Flash
Metering Mode: spot
Exposure : Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual

mg7113cq8.jpg

This is one is....
Camera make : Canon
Camera model : Canon EOS 5D
Date/Time : 2009:02:08 13:22:47
Resolution : 600 x 400
Orientation : rotate 270
Flash used : No
Focal length : 67.0mm (35mm equivalent: 67mm)
CCD width : 35.94mm
Exposure time: 0.0080 s (1/125)
Aperture : f/14.0
ISO equiv. : 100
Whitebalance : Manual
Metering Mode: spot
Exposure : Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual

Shutter speed a bit slow on the first one, my 5D gets pin sharp shots, another thing are you getting to close for the minimum focus of that lens ?

Shutter speed is the one thing that popped out when I looked through the data.

I am assuming that by shooting at 105mm and the other at 67mm, you are using a 24-105mm lens? A rule of thumb to avoid camera shake is that your shutter speed must be at least as fast as your highest focal lenght of your lens. So on a 24-105, you should be at least 1/125 depending on light conditions.

You are at 1/100 for the still image and 1/125 for the dog. Try having a faster shutter speed (and you'll need to adjust aperture to compensate to keep a good exposure)...maybe 1/250.

Why are you shooting the dog at f14? That seems like a small aperture for the subject at hand. You could easily drop that down to f8, giving you the faster shutter speed needed.

Are you using a tripod or shooting hand held?

Are you using the automatic focus points on your camera or are you using a center focus / recompose method to decide whats in focus?

The popular advice is: minimum acceptable sharpness = 1/focal length used. I think you've reached "minimum acceptable sharpness". If I want nice, crisp sharpness every time when shooting handheld it's closer to 1/3xfocal length for me.

What's up with the 400x600 res? Is that really your in-camera setting?

Sharpening in processing is standard for many. There are entire books written on sharpening techniques for Photoshop. They are much more sophisticated that what's available in-camera. Check out Bruce Fraser's "Real World Sharpening for Adobe Photoshop".

I've seen a few of your posts. This probably isn't the advice you want to hear, but you can keep beating your head against this wall, or you can invest some time and effort in learning to use your tools. There is no trick; it just takes practice and skill.

Last edited:
The popular advice is: minimum acceptable sharpness = 1/focal length used. I think you've reached "minimum acceptable sharpness". If I want nice, crisp sharpness every time when shooting handheld it's closer to 1/3xfocal length for me.

What's up with the 400x600 res? Is that really your in-camera setting?

Sharpening in processing is standard for many. There are entire books written on sharpening techniques for Photoshop. They are much more sophisticated that what's available in-camera. Check out Bruce Fraser's "Real World Sharpening for Adobe Photoshop".

any advice is good. Thanks- i know i can sharpen it on photoshop...but i am trying to avoid that part. So yes i will play with my camera alil more to see if i can get a sharp shot.......One thing i notice is when i put on my flash. the max the shutter speed will go up to is 200.....does that sound right?

One thing i notice is when i put on my flash. the max the shutter speed will go up to is 200.....does that sound right?
Yes, that's right. Most DSLRs can't do much faster than 1/250 when using flash. Any faster and you would start to see a part of your picture blacked out because of the shutter curtain.

why are you against sharpening in photoshop? i mean i don't always take pictures with the mindset of "oh i'll just do that in photoshop" but if i think something needs sharpened/ adjusted to suit my taste i have no problem with doing it

why are you against sharpening in photoshop? i mean i don't always take pictures with the mindset of "oh i'll just do that in photoshop" but if i think something needs sharpened/ adjusted to suit my taste i have no problem with doing it

i am not against doing it in photoshop. i just want the picture to be as sharp as possible on certain gigs i do where i don't have to take it home and edit...

Most reactions

Back