Street photog citizen rights print out?

swiftparkour94

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Can somebody link me to a legit document stating that I have the rights to take photographs on public property in either plain or complex terms from a credible source? If I ever encounter problems with an arrogant officer than I can show him it as I am terribly bad at explaining things in person.

Also, if no signs permit it, can I take pictures in a public train or misc. transit station or center? Never done it before, but I want to be reassured

thetrue said:

Thanks very much! Is there a more updated version just in case something may have changed? Also, is there something I can actually hand someone I'm having trouble with so that they can read that I'm within the law? This is words for photographers to read really.

If it matters what area I'm in, I live in California

thetrue said:

Thanks very much! Is there a more updated version just in case something may have changed? Also, is there something I can actually hand someone I'm having trouble with so that they can read that I'm within the law? This is words for photographers to read really.

If it matters what area I'm in, I live in California

Consult an attorney. Any advice given here holds no legal merit. Just dont do stupid stuff and respect people and you'll be fine.

It's not going to matter if you encounter an arrogant officer. He is not going to read your documentation and he's going to ask you to stop. If you persist and argue you are then going to be in another world of crap because he's then going to slap charges on you for everything he can imagine.
The best you can do is politely and respectfully discuss what you know to be true and if it doesn't work, I suggest you leave or do as he's asking because arrogant officers are not exactly the kind to let some kid tell them the law.

You also have to be very careful as to what is public and what is private. On the street is public. Public transportation is public, however if you are taking images of something in a store or similar? It's private. It's a very very thin line and the chances of you winning the debate are just not in your favor.

And I typed all of that only to post and realize the kid is now banned. Too much staring at that danged poster.

AND I WAS NICE TO THE KID!

It's only short term he'll be back

*gah I really wish this forum used "suspended" instead of banned for time limited bans*

And I typed all of that only to post and realize the kid is now banned.
TPF's main audience are the people who never join as members. So your reply was likely read by, and useful to 10's, if not hundreds of people.

Last edited:
And I typed all of that only to post and realize the kid is now banned.
TPF's main audience are the people who never join as members. So you reply was likely read by, and useful to 10's, if not hundreds of people.
Thanks, Keith! You make me feel so special!

It's only short term he'll be back

*gah I really wish this forum used "suspended" instead of banned for time limited bans*
Damn. ;)

The basics of street photography for many are simply to not attract attention to yourself by the public, security guards, or the police. To be practical, this means not carrying lots of camera equipment or setting up a tripod in a busy area.
The best approach is to pre-plan your shoot to either zoom from a distance or move in close. Your choice determines what lens you should have on your camera.
Face recognition mode and burst shooting would be appropriate in some situations.
You might decide to use Live View and shoot from the waist.
Shoot and move on might be best in some locations.
Carefully choosing a spot to shoot from or where there are lots of cameras already out, works too.

skieur

Best settings for shooting quick on the street is using hyper focus, F8, set focus to 10 feet (turn off auto focus) and then meter mid grey or your hand for shutter speed and shoot away up close without focusing

Most reactions

New Topics

Back