Street Smoker

I would love it but the girls in the background are distracting.

loser101 thanks for your comment.

That s funny the girls in the background are one of the reason why I find this shot interesting... it gives a kind of contrast

I was at the minimum DOF, as usual in urban shot

Mat

nice, too bad his head isn't completely in the picture. also, the cigarette is way bright compared to the rest of the guy, why is that?

The expression on his face certainly makes the shot!

If you were just aiming a bit higher it would be better, but it is still very good.

I would love it but the girls in the background are distracting.

Girls are always distracting ;)

Ernie, thanks, you are right cigarette is too bright, I did'nt notice ...:er:
It is bright because I increased bright and contrast on his face ( cigarette included) , I will correct

AlexB ,thanks, yes unfortunatly I did not capture his head fully :x , too slow to react :er:

Mat

nice could mistake it for newyork looking at the background!

perhaps a vignette would take some attention away from the girls?

Aquarium Dreams, Efegoh, Absolut thanks.

I post a new version, less light on the girls and cigarette, slight vignetting, tell me i fyou prefer this one :)

Absolut I had same feeling that this street in Taipei really look like NY, even if I have never been there :mrgreen:

they don't belong in this classic image.

I say "classic" because it has the makings of one. but you chopped off his head.. the difference in contrast between him and those girls are as AlexB said.. TOO DISTRACTING.. they don't belong with him in that image.

they take away the "focus" (as females usualy do) of the ORIGINAL SUBJECT MATTER. and "crash"..

I have to ask.. why did you chop off his head? becasue you were looking at something else inside that viewfinder. ? right ? EV values or light meter readings.. IT COST YOU THE SHOT!

PERHAPS YOU WERE . trying to focus ?..

learn to shoot from the hip and get that SHOT instantly! you only have a split second to compose.. if that!

Oustanding composition but darken that cigarette..! cigarette paper doesn't look like that.. and people know it!

clo.jpg

Majic Imaje, Thank you for your comment.

To answer to your question :

I was not looking at something else before the shot.
In fact I choosed this place for the background and the taxi station that I found interesting for colours.

And after I waited for the model, when I saw him from maybe 20 meter, I started shooting him, but you know how it is in the street not esay to have a portrait without anyone around. SO the other shot were very bad and last one is this one when he came to me and looked at me , but unfortunatly as I was taking "landscape " shot, I didn't have safe margin for his head and I cuted it :lol:

But I have to say that in most of the shot even if in original shot I have the full face, most of the time I cut the top part, it gives more intensity to my opinion

Mat

Im not one to critique something too much unless I myself have great examples of the same thing to show that I know what Im talking about.

I agree the cigarette was a little bright, but big deal, I think the shot is nice.

This is street photography, not commercial studio shooting.. You captured

a great moment...

nice, too bad his head isn't completely in the picture. also, the cigarette is way bright compared to the rest of the guy, why is that?

ya i'd say that the cig is partially distracting because of its brightness

I think there are always two ways to look at a picture, the capture and the technical execution.

Personally if the capture is good enough Im happy. You caught a great moment in time, the picture is interesting, keeps me looking for more in it.

Technically I am very inexperienced, but my gut says 1 -cutting the head is a pity, and indeed as has been said the girls are distracting slightly.

Someone mentioned earlier, I say shoot the moment first, capture it. for me the technical execution comes 2nd.

Really nice picture.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back