Studio Lighting and Backgrounds

ASP_Photography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Please help!

I have been shooting weddings for seven years without studio lighting kit/backgrounds.... so I really need to step it up and purchase something! I take all my engagement sessions outside and would like to set up a studio in my basement until I take the next big step of renting a place. I have a 2000 sq ft unfinished basement with plenty of room to set something up....

What do you recommend that I buy? I don't want something "TOO" entry level but I don't want to spend a ton of money. Should I buy something used? I found this for sale in my area... is it worth the price?

Here is the AD $1500:
Complete Professional Studio Light kit and Backgrounds:
These are Pro quality lights and I will tell you they do the job not the cheep stuff at all.

2 Ultra White Lighting 1800 flash units
2 Eclipse Silver Umbrellas
2 Photoflex Light stands
1 Ultra White Lighting 1200 flash unit background flash
1 Photoflex Background light stand with reflector
1 King Plican Hard Case for flashes
1 Light stand soft case
1 RC-100 remote control for flashes
1 Flash meter
2 Extra modeling bulbs
2 Replacement flash tubes
PC cords and remote cords
Photoflex Background stands
2 ea 4 1/2’ photo back grounds
1 ea 6’ Painted Green Old master style Background
2 ea 5’ Cloth Backgrounds “one Black marble one Sandstone”
1 10’ background pole for Muslins
5 ea Muslins “Light Gray, Blue, Dark Grey, Purple, Cream”

Any advice is much appreciated!!!! Thank you!

Does your basement have 12 foot ceilings?

I'd go with more of a stobist setup to allow easy location work.

Personally, I think the kit is a bit overpriced. It's basically three White Lightning monolights, which could easily be 15 years old,and maybe $600 in backdrops,plus a small selection of lightstands.

My question would be how much use the monolights have had to endure. They premiered the Ultra models in the late 1980's as I recall.

On the used market, lighting gear doesn't cost much if you shop carefully. I am wondering what the light meter is--if it is a good light meter, like a Minolta Flash Meter III or IV, or a decent Sekonic flash meter. But the stands can't be all that good--they're Photoflex. And the two umbrellas, worth $40 used as a pair. It sound slike this kit might have been used by a small-time portrait person; if they were busy and used it a lot over a decade, I would pass on the White Lightnings. If the lights look exceptionally clean,and the reflectors aren't all dinged up, maybe go for it. I'd offer the seller less than $1,500, like $700,and proceed from there.

Thank you Derrel! The lights are 10 years old and it sounds like he used them a lot so I will probably pass on this lighting ki/backgrounds for now. Just trying to get an idea of what will work best for me.

It seems a bit pricy. If you shop around you might end up spending around $1200 for similar setup. Plus also keep in mind what you'll be using vs what this AD contains in it.

Most reactions

Back