Sturtevant Falls

Desi

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went for a hike with my daughter yesterday.......took the camera along just in case. We stayed out kind of late and got to this little waterfall close to dark in overcast lighting. The moss (algae?) on the rock seemed fluorescent in that lighting. I put my camera on a rock and used a sweater to frame the shot and got a 3 second exposure with my 50.

Sturtevant Falls by Desi595, on Flickr

The bright rock to the left bugs me a bit. Not sure what I can do about it. It occurs to me that this would be a cool night-time shot with light painting on the green rock and down into the water.

Oh, this is Sturtevant Falls, in Santa Anita Canyon. Part of the San Gabriel Mountains in the northern part of Los Angeles.

I'd love your comments/critiques.

Desi

Wow. So less water. I have been there few times but I thought it should have more water during this time of year... I remembered the gate is closed after sunset so I don't know if you can/want to stay in there for night time shots... Thanks for sharing.

Yeah....the streams are running really dry this year.

Yes, the gate would be closed......so mountain biking there would be choice

Maybe darken the rock to the left a bit? It isn't so stand-out-ish.

$4.jpg

It's still an amazing shot though!

Thanks for the edit. That looks good. The bright rock in the original is distracting.

Thanks for the edit. That looks good. The bright rock in the original is distracting.

All I did was paste the picture into GIMP, used the paths tool, and then used the burn tool at 50% opacity, but should've used 100% because it took about 15 times going over it to get it that dark. It might even look okay a little bit less dark as well, but that's what was pleasing to my eye at the time.

Great shot, it does look better with the rocks darker, but the moss looks wonderful!

Most reactions

Back