Suggestions for an Excellent Compact Digital?

I just bought a Canon S90, and it is awesome. However, the minimum aperture is f/8, so dept of field will be limited compared to an SLR.

Afraid I will have to pull you up on that statement there - the smaller sensor size of the S90 far outweighs the effect of only being limited to an aperture of f/8. In fact, you would find the opposite to be true with a small sensor, where everything is always in focus and it will be harder to do any shallow DOF effects.

I saw this a bit late, but for anyone who might be in the same boat as the op, check out the canon powershot sd1400 is or the nikon s8000. both really nice, tiny cameras with 14.1 mp.

Afraid I will have to pull you up on that statement there - the smaller sensor size of the S90 far outweighs the effect of only being limited to an aperture of f/8. In fact, you would find the opposite to be true with a small sensor, where everything is always in focus and it will be harder to do any shallow DOF effects.

Really?

S90 sample from last night, please excuse the noise - 800 ISO in dimly lit room and no flash. ;)

4443428518_9d1301eb5c_b.jpg

Hello!

I don't want to purchase an SLR (don't need to make huge prints) and don't want to lug it around on vacations (although I love SLRs).

I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for a small digital camera for shooting products (for my website) and general use?

A DOF function would be awesome!

Thank you so much!
Jeff

I will also refer you to the Cannon S90. I wear one on my belt every day. It is my go to camera. I have just begun to tap into all it has to offer....

Panasonic LX3 is SO much better!

376218755.jpg

376218761.jpg

376218756.jpg

Shall DOF? No problem!

376218760.jpg

378776299.jpg

383453813.jpg

and Just for kickers... a shot from the TZ-5 at max zoom

380093898.jpg

Take that! you evil S90 shooters! :fangs:

:gun:

I'm just joking... I figure at least once we can have a flame war of something other than "Nikon versus Canon". :Joker:

:peacesign:

Well, in comparison to say a full frame camera, P&S type cameras at 2.8 is usually equivalent to about f/8 or f/11 and the f/8 is more equivalent to f/22-f/32 (at least DOF wise).

That being said, yes, you can get shall DOF on it, it just takes knowledge of subject distance relationships with DOF. Typically though, fokker was right that in most cases everything (within reason) will be in focus.

Photoxopher: I don't know why you mentioned the dimly lit room in low light, in regards to DOF as obviously that doesn't really affect anything. And as you can clearly tell anyway there is a ton of noise even in that small of an image.

I know that, I was just saying try to ignore it - never said it had anything to do with DOF did I?

Well okay, I probably should have said it's possible to get a shallow DOF if you're trying, but not as easy as with an SLR. It's also a big part of the reason why full frame SLR's are more deisrable for portraits as it is easier to get a nicely blurred background.

Since so many of you love the Canon S90...

I have to ask, in comparison to the Canon PowerShot SX200 (have to say, I'm an MP whore and was lured by the 2 extra MPs), what are the benefits of the Canon S90 (I noticed it did get better reviews)?

I can still return the SX200 and purchase an S90.

Thanks!!
Jeff

Last edited:
Ken Rockwell's site has a good review of the S90 with a lot of real-world examples.

Canon S90

Basically, he argues that it's better because it has the largest sensor available in a P&S, sharper resolution than 12 MP cameras because it has fewer pixels, a faster f/2.0-4.9 lens, and it's easier to use in the real world due to the 2 control rings. The SX200 has an f-stop rating of 3.4-5.3.

I don't typically like Ken Rockwell, but in this case I tend to agree with him on a few points.

1. the MP really doesn't matter. The sensor size is going to help out a lot with regards to noise etc. I would choose sensor size over megapixels everytime.

2. The two command dials can be really helpful, particularly if you want to use manual modes and get used to them (perhaps if you ever decide to move to DSLR or what have you in the future).

I don't know much about the camera that you have, but, from what I've read the S90 looks good (I personally like the hotshoe of a G11, but that's just me...)

I ended up taking my S90 back and getting the G11, why?

1/4000th shutter speed capablity mostly... Plus I found that although the front dial is 'neat', it's not a very natural movement with a little P&S - I guess my hands are too big or something, I don't know. I find the G11 easier to use, although bigger I think I'll use it more.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back