Suggestions wanted: reunion/party informal portrait lighting

zulu42

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm going to a party tomorrow with my camera. I'm a guest, not hired. There will be some interesting people and I'd like to set up a spot where I can try to catch some nice individual and couple informal portraits. Waist up or head shot kind of thing.

Indoor/outdoor party afternoon through sunset. Indoor portion is a large aircraft hangar, with plentiful fluorescent lighting about 25 feet high.

My plan is to set up a light stand or two away from the party area, and those who choose could get a photo of themselves or couples. I'd like a basic light placement that I could mostly leave as-is, maybe move a key light around a bit if needed.

Equipment available:
Shooting Nikon D800. Wish to use my 105mm 2.8 mostly. 50mm as needed.

2 stands, one with boom. 8 ft max height. sandbags.

Yongnuo yn560 speedlights , two. wireless hotshoe trigger.
38inch octagon softboxes, two
42" 5in1 reflector

I can choose a backdrop in the hangar. Maybe part of an airplane, the attendees might like that. Or, I have room to locate the lights with enough falloff to render the BG black.

My basic idea was one softbox off axis camera left above, and somebody hold the 42" reflector, white, just out of frame camera right for fill. I want the lights as close as possible to run the power lower for recycle times. I can use the other speedlight with or without softbox, maybe to light the BG if needed, or for fill, or hair light? or... only use one light for simplicity.

I should add that I use these lights frequently, just not for people. Lighting flowers and objects I can predict the results well.

I'm just a guy with a camera. Nobody is expecting Ostergrens

I'd welcome any suggestions from you people shooters. Thanks very much.

If I had your mission I would simply take a portable TTL flash unit and extension cable. You should get satisfactory lighting for your purpose with bounce flash assuming the ceilings aren't too high. Your definition was informal portrait. Those portraits will be more effective if they are taken when the subjects are doing something. Shoot them right where they sit or stand.

Thanks for the suggestion. I would love the simplicity but the ceilings are 25 feet. One handheld light with a flash bender bounce is an option

One 43 inch umbrella camera left would be my suggested setup...you could use a softbox too. Or use the Flashbender and hold it high and in your left hand.

I would do waist up framing with clamshell lighting. Your main is boomed above and in the centre, one 42” reflector(white) centred and just below out of frame angled to bounce the main back into the faces.

Ideally you will want fast recycle times to grab spontaneous shots so low power and a higher ISO is your best bet. If you can cobble another support together, tripod or many come with a floor stand, use the second speedlite for background illumination, gel it for effect if you want. No gels you say? Dollar stores have coloured cellophane for gift wrapping that in a pinch can be used, bearing in mind it isn't heat proof but with speedlites should be fine. Black backgrounds are dead boring and are problematic when the subject has black hair or clothing.

Excellent advice thanks so much @Derrel and @JBPhotog. The clamshell or one light camera left - which will provide more leeway for different height people without much stand adjusting?
I do have a boom and a second stand. and gels. I will bring that stuff in case somebody feels like spending a little more time to get some pop.

I appreciate the great suggestions!

I think most people don't use theses, but in a pinch they can be quite helpful if you need to place a speedlite on the floor, shelf or a surface and tape it down. I think most speed lights come with them these days. The good ones have a 1/4-20 brass threaded insert on the bottom for mounting to a stand or an umbrella adapter.

images.jpeg

.. and somebody hold the 42" reflector, white, just out of frame camera right for fill.
This probably won't be satisfactory. Sorry. In an ideal world, you would have an otherwise-unencumbered fellow photographer with an excellent eye, who is available all evening, and can direct the reflector exactly where you need it, with exactly the right amount of light hitting the subjects just right. But how realistic is that?

I would probably set up some kind of "booth" (no walls) with a couple of softboxes or umbrella-boxes at or above head-height, and a blue-tape box outline on the floor showing people where to stand. Shoot anyone who steps into the box. Have them write their name on your shooting log, and you can write the number of the shot(s) next to their name.

I've seen some very nice setups with that general idea, but I'm not up to the technology to switch backgrounds electronically and display the subjects with their choice of background on a TV screen just minutes after the shots are taken. It's quite the party-maker, I'll say.

After reading the vibe of the party, there were enough festivities that snapshots were enough. Rouge flashbender bounce in the left hand:

jo and joe-1-2.jpg

Try a speedlight with transmitter on a 'fun' random angle strong enough to cast shadows -Terry Richardson style.

Most reactions

Back