Sunset at Mostyn

nynfortoo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took a ride down to Mostyn (North Wales) last night to capture some pics of the delapidated abandoned ferry (tell me if you want to see those pics. It's a creepy structure) but went for a nice walk while I was there.

I came across some rocks on a bed of cracked baked mud, and really needed to capture it. So using my trusty 055XPROB as low as it could go, I set about shooting it, bracketed with the view to merging the exposures later on. And here's what I came up with, though I may have overcooked it in some parts. Tell me what you think :)

2559371114_9eb679f13d_o.jpg

f/16 @ 23mm - various shutter speeds for the exposures.

Then after the sun had gone down, I walked along the shore to see another lovely scene before me. I'd watched the sunset behind some industrial buildings on the horizon; I captured some, but I got loads of lens flare, so I'll have to work on that, if I can. This is another 3 exposures manually brushed together in Photoshop.

2559373292_247ebee6f6_o.jpg

f/20 @ 28mm - various shutter speeds for the exposures.

Hope you like them; if not, tell me what you don't like, and I'll take it on board for next time.

Cheers.

maybe you could get rid of the power lines in 1. I think 2 would be better without the cranes as the beach is so nice.

I love the colors in both, they look almost look like a super detailed oil painting due to the slight blurring.

In 1, it is very nice how the hill and lighted dirt draw your eye to the staircase.

maybe you could get rid of the power lines in 1. I think 2 would be better without the cranes as the beach is so nice.

I love the colors in both, they look almost look like a super detailed oil painting due to the slight blurring.

In 1, it is very nice how the hill and lighted dirt draw your eye to the staircase.

Thanks for your feedback, jvgig :)

The staircase in no.1 is actually an angled gate, but it's too far away to tell at that resolution.

I admit the power lines in the first aren't particularly welcome. I may have a go at getting rid of them, but I prefer not to do any major cloning in my shots if I can help it.

I quite like the crane on the horizon. The coast up there is very industrial, and I tried to reflect that by keeping the shot moody and including some of the structures in view.

Cheers.

Without the cranes in number 2? Noooo. In my opinion this photo is amazing. Does this look normal during the day? You appear to have photographed what looks like a desolate wasteland, a beach that appears to be covered with oil or the result of heavy industry. The cranes and buildings on the horizon mixed with the read just make this look even better. Pity you don't have a massive oil refinery up there because that would have been perfect.

Without the cranes in number 2? Noooo. In my opinion this photo is amazing. Does this look normal during the day? You appear to have photographed what looks like a desolate wasteland, a beach that appears to be covered with oil or the result of heavy industry. The cranes and buildings on the horizon mixed with the read just make this look even better. Pity you don't have a massive oil refinery up there because that would have been perfect.

Cheers, Garbz :D

I didn't wander up to the shore until it was a bit dark, so I couldn't really say if it looks like this in the day; though the beach looked fairly grimy and barren, so it probably does. I certainly wasn't climbing all the way down on my own, risking my safety and, more importantly, my gear.

The whole place screams of degeneration. It's wonderful, but I don't know exactly how safe it is. Directly behind me in the second shot is a fenced off abandoned passenger ferry that has been sitting there since the '70s and has fallen into a beautiful run-down state of disrepair, just to give you an idea of how industrial and desolate the place is.

There is an oil refinery near by, but a bit further towards home, unfortunately (both because it would have looked ace, as you said, and then maybe my home town wouldn't be so polluted!)

Thanks a lot :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back