"Super Girl" Composite photo preview (post edit progression)

CA_

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm attempting my first period composite photo (If super girl were from the 40's) I'm posting an unfinished composite edit to share some of the processes I do. The next step is to add a yellow belt, and then start shaping the light on her skin. Then I'll start matching her to the background more and do some other cleaning. I'll post some more progression edits!

*UPDATE*:

Ok, I'm done messing with this thing! It's as done as I care to make it at the moment (lol tired of looking at it). Here's the progression and a little peak at the source images:

Here are the source images and how I typically shape light to build contrast (to get that cinematic look)
$herohowto.jpg

Draft 1 (pre-light shaping)
$heropreview.jpg

Draft 2 (repositioned, cleaned up a little and some small light shaping layers)
View attachment 31222

Final(for now)
View attachment 31223

Let me know if you have any questions / ideas. Thanks for checking it out!

Last edited:
I'm very interested and will keep up with what you are doing, thank you for taking the time.

You've got to do a video! This is interesting!

$hero2.jpg
Next progression. The editing continues...

Have you read the book HDR by Rafael "RC"Concepcion or Photoshop Compositing Secrets by Matt Kloskowski, as you are talanted and these books were awesome for me.

Hey CA,

Could you consider giving us a little background patter too if you have the time or inclination? It would make it more enjoyable if I knew what your doing and maybe even some challenges you had. I dont need "pull the curve 3 units up to the left" but I would really enjoy;" I worked on getting the dress to look period. I had to find a top and pleets and I had to fit them around the body etc"

Thanks,

Ray

tentwo, thanks!! I'll have to check that out.

Hey CA,

Could you consider giving us a little background patter too if you have the time or inclination? It would make it more enjoyable if I knew what your doing and maybe even some challenges you had. I dont need "pull the curve 3 units up to the left" but I would really enjoy;" I worked on getting the dress to look period. I had to find a top and pleets and I had to fit them around the body etc"

Thanks,

Ray

Sure, mainly the challenge was getting a focused 'super hero' type of vibe from the model by her simply just standing there, without dipping into too much cheesiness. I did so by emphasizing her posture and intensity of expression in the eyes. Then, I had a friend hold a fan just behind the light diffuser to get her hair to leap up.

Aside from that, I haven't run into much of a challenge yet.

Oh wait yes, I wanted to ad a cape in, but given her costume and where it comes up on her back (mid back) I didn't want to add it. I didn't want to simply tie it around her neck and I think given her positioning in the right 3rd, the cape may have been distracting, rather than helping to frame the shot as I originally had hoped.

That's what I'm up to so far! I'll post a newer edit soon.

I love your style ca, And feel I could learn so much from you, I hope to be as awesome after my course, help books, PRACTICE!.I think the editing photo shop will be tricky, but I think my course does teach a little about that!! Looking forward to the finished article!

Last edited:
$Hero_SM.jpg

Alright, I'm done fooling with this thing. There's more things that need to be touched up but at this point I'm probably just splitting hairs. Anyway, this is my final(ish) version of my first composite photo. It went basically just like I planned! Phew! :) I'm going to post a bit about how I wrapped the light in post, and what source images I used.

Totally humbled by all the feedback, and thanks for checking out my work guys!

The face looks a little overdone? Also what if you added a few blurs in the dress to appear it is moving? Still awesome!

The face looks a little overdone? Also what if you added a few blurs in the dress to appear it is moving? Still awesome!

Yep I tried the dress blur, but it didn't end up looking nearly as good as I thought it would :/ It busy'd it up a bit too much and lost detail, even when done at a pretty subtle level.

Maybe getting the motion in the orginal photo using a fan. tiny details that really do not matter as it is awesome.

Most reactions

Back