Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
D5100 Kit 18-55

Tahoe Sunset-1.jpg

Tahoe Sunset-1-2.jpg

Tahoe Sunset-1-3.jpg

I like the second and third ones the most. The first one has too much washed out sky and the tree branches in the upper right corner I find distracting due to motion blur or focus. #3 is my favorite, nice moody photo.

Pretty nice shots, though there are a couple of issues:

The major issue for me is the blurred branches, looks to me like your depth of field was a bit short or you've got a bit of diffraction and movement blur. Most people (incuding myself) like to see good front to back sharpness in shots like this so making sure you have used a small enough aperture to have everything sharp from foreground to infinity, yet not soo small diffraction becomes an issue(ie below f18), and have a fast enough shutter speed to freeze everything, with the exception of the water. Personally I'd rather see sharp branches and no blur in the water than the opposite.

The second shot is the best compositionally but the 3rd has the best water where you've got the shutter speed bang on to keep the water a little blurred but still with a lot of structure and the interest of it smashing against the rocks for a bit of drama.

Thanks for the replies!
Those branches have motion blur from the breeze. That was actually the last shot on the way out and I needed a long exposure to get any detail from the rocks. 2.5s if I remember, an after thought shot :)
I appreciate the comments. I have way too many shots from this night,and the composition in 2 was my favorite also. I bet I have some different water choices with similar framing.

Thanks very much for the comments and all the likes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back