Taking a deep breath and diving in - CC Welcomed

JillH

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been impressed with the work posted here the past few days, and not sure if mine is at all comparable. But, I'll toss a few up here for your feedback, CC and suggestions. I did very little post processing - just cropping and a bit of exposure and color corrections.

1. A statue on the waterfront in Antwerp, Belgium
ry%3D480

2. Potzdammer Platz in Berlin.
ry%3D400

3. The morning after a rare snowfall in Belgium (well, at least while we lived there snowfalls were a rare event!). I did do some sharpening to this particular picture.
ry%3D400

TFL.

1. I have two major issues with this shot. First of all, other than the statue, there's no interest and it's smack dab in the middle of the frame. Try shooting with your subject off centered and filling the frame more. Secondly, I see a bunch of disembodied heads at the bottom of the frame. I know you were trying to get the whole statue in, but in this case, it really kills the photo. Maybe next time you try something like this, focus on one area of the statue, like the head, and apply what I've mentioned here. I think the photo would be a lot stronger then.

2. I actually like this photo. There's interest, the subject(s) are off center. There are clouds in the sky which add to the interest. (Bare blue sky is boring, just as gray overcast sky is.)

3. This shot doesn't really do anything for me. It's just some snow covered trees. Some foreground interest, or maybe sky, or something like that might make it stronger. I do see what you were going for.

You've done nice work here. Keep at it, listen to advice, and you'll improve in no time at all.

#1 is a tough shot due to the sky being so blue. Maybe crop the shot to remove the heads, and have the statue fill the canvas more.

#2 I also like this shot, but something is missing????
I know you mentioned not performing much PP, but work with those clouds some.
Next time, when shooting a building that reflects like this one (2), try many different angles. the clouds in the windows always looks cool.
I do like the clock next the building. There are reflections in the glass of the clock. I would remove those reflections. Also, the red/green lights (or whatever they are), should also be removed.

Thanks for the feedback - I'll work with your suggestions.

pbelarge: Re: shot #2 - The lower item isn't a clock - it is pre-WWII traffic light that sat in the middle of Potsdammer Platz and survived the siege of Berlin, so the red and green lights actually do belong in the picture. I thought the positioning of the "old" and the "new" Berlin would make an interesting photo.

Most reactions

Back