taking a job ... need some help.

wgp1987

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Someone was asking me about shooting their engagement party and I've never done a gig b4 ..... it will be about an hour from my house and will be around 4 hours. I figured 300 isn't asking too much.

For 300 ill take up to 16 gigs of photos and supply him with an edited version of all photos including original raw files and unedited jpeg copies.

I think two 8 gig cards is enough for the event and I only have one battery so I assume I should pick up another.

What do u think?

Someone was asking me about shooting their engagement party and I've never done a gig b4 ..... it will be about an hour from my house and will be around 4 hours. I figured 300 isn't asking too much.

For 300 ill take up to 16 gigs of photos and supply him with an edited version of all photos including original raw files and unedited jpeg copies.

I think two 8 gig cards is enough for the event and I only have one battery so I assume I should pick up another.

What do u think?

IMO you need another battery for sure! I hope you are familiar with Photoshop to edit them, cause these are considered important pics for the couple. I don't want you to end up in a bad situation cause' they aren't happy. I'm not familiar with your photography, but 16 gigs should def. be enough, as that's exactly what I have too! They asked YOU to do it for whatever reason so don't mind my comments much as I'm just an outsider knowing nothing about you...Good luck and I hope you know what you're doing, though this is your 1st gig.

p.s. I'm not a pro,and have very little experience with Photoshop as I use Corel, but I do have 1 wedding and a bridal shower under my "learning belt" so-to-speak. Good luck once again!! I'd love to see your work!

In my opinion, I would rather use a few 2g cards instead of two 8g ones because if one of your 8g cards gets corrupted or damaged, you lose all those photos. Compared to if you only lose one 2g card you still have the other cards.

I would say 16gigs is way too many, You need time to choose your camera settings and be creative and compose good shots or are you going to spray and hope you get a few good ones, i would rather get 20 great shots than have 16Gigs of crap. I don't even think i have ever shot 16gigs when i'm shooting an event where we are printing on site

the temptation is there to expand the offered package because you want the work.
but i wouldn't take too many photos for 300 dollars...or offer too much in the way of formats and versions. 16gigs of shots is 750+ shots (i don't know if you have a FF cam or an APS-C DSLR.) you'll have to individually appraise most of these, spend some time getting a feel for the best look, then PP the selected ones (sized for web, 100% size for print..and printables are bigger and slower to PP.) etc etc. it's all hours of your time. planning the job is 1 hour. attending is 2 or 3. appraissing is 2. test editing is 1. pping is 3 or 4. supplying the end-product is 1. chasing payment is 1. so that's potential 13 hours skilled work and associated admin for 300 dollars. then the customer says ''yes these are fine but can we have...'' which another 2 hours or something. $17 per hour isn't enough fee.

if you think in terms of $50/hour (which is dirt cheap) and you agree to spend 2 hours at the party, then the rest of the task will cost you $200 which is 4 hours work. considering admin and payment that leaves nothing left (of $300) for your editing time. take 100 pictures maximum. choose 10-15. PP and supply. that maybe take 4 hours..and extra $200. your price is light by at least $200 IMO. $500 for 15 post-produced shots including RAW masterfiles and PP'd 100% size JPEGS.

and even these costings ignore real-world business expenses (bills, insurance, transport, promotional budget, cost of tools etc). this is why professional services need to be very expensive!

My 2cents:
The moment you accept a paying gig you need backup:
Battery,
Cards,
lenses,
flash(es)
body.

If you don't have access to those (own or burrow or rent) then you aren't ready to charge for your services

It's funny how many people post on the forum, but never read anything.:biglaugh:

Oh, yeah, you'll want to have a signed contract as well. ;)

It's funny how many people post on the forum, but never read anything.:biglaugh:
To broaden your statement.
It's funny how many people claim to be photographers, but never took time to learn basics :)

Working it out on 750 shots over 4 hours that is about 3 shots every minute, when will you have time to pose them :confused:

Working it out on 750 shots over 4 hours that is about 3 shots every minute, when will you have time to pose them :confused:

Ok in frame count defense, few weeks ago, I got to work with a new studio and owner told me to shoot HEAVY. It was a 4hr gig and delivered him about 800frames. One pose + different angles/modifications = different images; PLUS candids. HOWEVER, normally, for a 4hour gig with film I used to deliver about up to 300frames. With digital, under 500 and studios are very happy (they select what they want to use/not use) and deliver to clients.

To broaden your statement.
It's funny how many people claim to be photographers, but never took time to learn basics :)

sorry who is this aimed at?

if it's me, i'm just trying assist someone whose charging for a service and hasn't done it before. i have done paid, contracted events photography at blacktie functions in London. and why not have a contract, Bitter?

Ok in frame count defense, few weeks ago, I got to work with a new studio and owner told me to shoot HEAVY. It was a 4hr gig and delivered him about 800frames. One pose + different angles/modifications = different images; PLUS candids. HOWEVER, normally, for a 4hour gig with film I used to deliver about up to 300frames. With digital, under 500 and studios are very happy (they select what they want to use/not use) and deliver to clients.

yep, but wgp1987 has to wear both hats in this scenario. he has to shoot, select, PP and present to the customer and chase payment.

yep, but wgp1987 has to wear both hats in this scenario. he has to shoot, select, PP and present to the customer and chase payment.

Well, that's the difference b/n an amateur and a professional photographer. One post Qs as to what to do, another one knows his/hers value, knows quality product can deliver and knows that amount of $ he/she will get payed will cover expenses and will leave some extra $ to spend on groceries, bills, etc

Most reactions

Back