Taking On Work You Don't Enjoy

g-fi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I find myself in an interesting predicament. A friend of my husband's recommended me to one of his co-workers who has an upcoming wedding in October, not really understanding that I primarily do maternity, newborns, children and the occasional senior picture. I *have* done weddings in the past, and just felt like it wasn't fun to me. I liked doing the bridal party's portraits, hated the ceremony and reception.

However. I set up a meeting with the potential client and her fiance this Sunday because I feel like at this point, because I don't spend any money on advertising or marketing, I don't really want to turn away what could lead to further referrals and word of mouth work (and possibly maternity/newborn/child/family work from these same potential clients) down the road. I've put together a few different wedding packages to offer them that are both fair to myself and stay in the same market range as other photographers in the area. I've set my prices high enough that if they do decide to book with me, I won't feel a total letdown at the prospect of having to shoot a wedding. (Something has to make up for the deep inner rage that wedding guests unleash inside of me every time they step into the aisle to "get their shot" or bombard that special moment with a thousand flashes going off).

So my question is, to those of you who pursue this not just as something you love, but something that you make money at, how much work do you take on that you don't necessarily LOVE, but you do to make a buck?

For us, it's weddings and seniors that we LOVE. Families is at the bottom of our list, but we do them occasionally. We just charge enough to keep us motivated. I suppose that we may eventually just refer this type of business out, but we're not quite at that point financially yet.

I could have written your post. I don't enjoy weddings, and I do not advertise myself as doing them. I do accept referrals on occasion though, and have booked two weddings this year. I don't despise weddings, but I don't get the same kind of enjoyment from them as I do from the newborn sessions. I have decided that I will only accept the ones that I feel a strong "pull" toward, of that makes sense. For example, I love the personalities of one of the couples I am working with this summer. They are looking for a very fun, storytelling experience over the course of a couple of days, which is something that interests me creatively.
I have hit a place where I am okay referring work I don't enjoy to other local photographers who do enjoy the work, and in turn they do the same for me. I guess I see it as they deserve a photographer that is passionate about what they do. If I truly cannot offer that (and there are times I can't. The idea of a long formal wedding bores me) then it isn't fair to them, or to other pros in my area who would bring that kind of passion, to accept the job.

I think you are going about it from the right angle.
I do the same in my non-photog business. I don't want to lose the potential word of mouth advertising, so I price a job I don't want to do, high, so if they take it, it's more than worth my while.
And you hit your nail on the head...This wedding job may lead to maternity, newborn, and child portraits. :thumbup:

I know! I feel the same way. I do child, maternity and newborns as well and am not interested in weddings. I have six booked this summer. Yeah, I know. What the heck is wrong with me!? But they were all laid back, casual people and I felt like our personalities meshed so I went for it. After being stood up by a bride who didn't even have the decency to call me after I called to ask where she was, I have sworn off weddings from now on.

I want to do what I love and that's the child, newborns and maternity. Where I live we have at least four photographers who already cater to weddings and they can have them. :) I will even refer the brides! LOL!

Thanks everyone for the input and feedback. Met with my clients this afternoon and they called me back 10 minutes after our meeting ended to book their wedding for October. I think this means it's time to raise my prices again lol.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back