Tamron 17-50 2.8 di II non-VC

TangoTracer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 non-VC (Canon Mount)

I found a local used lens for $200... All the reviews are great and thinking of replacing my kit 18-55 with this faster lens!

Any feedback? "They" say the non-VC has better quality and holds up nice despite being a 2006 model

Of course there is some aberration and other defects at the super-wide and super-zoom aspects of this lens, but all in all for the price Im not sure I can find a better replacement for my kit :)

Roger Cicala at Lensrentals.com wrote a column in which he said that replacing all of the company's NON-VC 17-50mm zooms was one of the biggest mistakes he ever made. He did it without having done any research, and got rid of the non-VC lenses and replaced them what he called inferior, VC-equipped models. So, yeah, the earlier non-VC lens design is better optically than the newer VC model.

We have this lens in nikon mount and love it. AF is good, lens is sharp...no issues at all.
Never felt the need to upgrade it.

We have this lens in nikon mount and love it. AF is good, lens is sharp...no issues at all.
Never felt the need to upgrade it.

I also own this lens in Nikon mount, and it's fantastic. It's good and sharp, as well as considerably smaller/lighter than the Nikon equivalent 17-55 2.8 (not sure about Canon's offerings in this focal range).

Some people will argue this and I do agree that in some instances VC can be helpful, but in my opinion it's not as important at these focal lengths. With the high ISO capabilities of today's camera's it's easy to get shutter speeds that result in sharp photo's even in low light.

I had this lens back when I mainly shot with crop frame cameras...I loved it. I sold it and replaced it with a Tamron 28-75mm F2.8.....and now I really miss my 17-50mm.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back