Tamron SP AF70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC

scottfishel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was hoping someone with some more experience with various lenses (so pretty much anyone) could help me with a concern.

I recently picked up this lens (Tamron's SP AF70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC) for my Canon 60D. I've grown accustomed to the kit lens (18-135) but wanted a longer reach. I'm happy with the quality from the Tamron lens, but I've found the auto focus to be ...'jerky' (for lack of a better word). The speed of the focus seems pretty reasonable, but it almost snaps into focus.

I wasn't sure if each manufacturer's lenses have a different feel, or if it was normal for a larger lens (it' physically much bigger). I want to make sure it's not indicative of other problems that might surface down the road (such as after I can easily exchange it...).

Am I crazy?

Anyone? Could this be common in Tamron lenses with VC?

I have that lens & like it pretty well. I think what you're feeling is the VC when it stabilizes. Mine focuses very quickly. I only find it hunts in very low light. I can see what I'm photographing moving a bit as it locks the VC when the lens hits focus. I'm pretty impressed with IQ.

Thanks, Phil! That makes me feel better.

spoke to a friend of mine who swears by Tamron lenses and he said exactly the same, it's just when the the VC activates that there's in his words ' a wee clunk'. He reckons it took him a few weeks to get used to it and now he doesn't even notice it apparently.

penfolderoldo said:
He reckons it took him a few weeks to get used to it and now he doesn't even notice it apparently.

It's funny you say that. I spent a day at the zoo with my wife an kids and after a couple of hundred shots it feels as natural as can be. I guess I was worrying for nothing. Thanks got helping to ease my concern.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back