tech question - wide angle primes, manual focus lenses use exposure metering on N75?

ulrichsd

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone, so I was looking at getting a cheap wide angle prime lens somewhere around 20, 24 or 28mm for use on my N75 film camera. I'd like something lightweight for backpacking and cheap so its not too big a worry about the elements.

I was thinking something like this Sigma 24mm 2.8 or maybe Tokina 28mm 2.8 similar to a Nikon AI-S lens.

So my question is, I've read that the Nikon AI-S lenses don't have exposure metering on low-end cameras like the N75. I'm guessing that would be the same for these two off-brand manual focus lenses? I don't really understand why the lens affects the cameras metering? I don't really want to have to haul around a light meter backpacking....

I know the Nikon 28mm AF-D would be ok, but I'm just curious what would work and what wouldn't...

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Scott

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
So my question is, I've read that the Nikon AI-S lenses don't have exposure metering on low-end cameras like the N75.

Right, the meter won't work with AIS lenses on the N75.

I'm guessing that would be the same for these two off-brand manual focus lenses?

Correct.

I don't really understand why the lens affects the cameras metering?

It's not that the lens affects the metering -- it's that the lens isn't coupled to the meter in the case of the N75.

I know the Nikon 28mm AF-D would be ok, but I'm just curious what would work and what wouldn't...

See this compatibility chart:
Nikon SLR Camera & Lens Compatibility Chart

Thanks for the chart, that is really helpful!

I figured you'd get better info here :thumbup: than in the Beginner's Forum :thumbdown:.

Why don't you spend the $30 and buy a nikon film body that supports metering with those lenses? I see N90's sell on ebay routinely for $30, sometimes even less.

The 24mm afd is great stopped down

Thanks Keith, good move.

Djacob, true, n90 would work but its twice as heavy as the n75, which I'm trying to go light. Plus Ai lenses wont meter on my d90 either.

It would be nice if I could find a cheap af fx lens in the 20-24 range for under $100 used. Sigma's primes are all bigger 1.8s and tokina has s 17mm, but its not cheap either.

Thanks!
Scott

A question I've been wondering about in this regard; maybe someone has the answer: isn't metering for auto modes done instantly off the film, after a predictive preliminary metering? That's one of the reasons AI lenses with their non-linear diaphrams work on the auto cameras that require AI-s lenses. If that's the case, wouldn't these lenses be usable in, for instance, A mode?

ulrichsd said:
Thanks Keith, good move.

Djacob, true, n90 would work but its twice as heavy as the n75, which I'm trying to go light. Plus Ai lenses wont meter on my d90 either.

It would be nice if I could find a cheap af fx lens in the 20-24 range for under $100 used. Sigma's primes are all bigger 1.8s and tokina has s 17mm, but its not cheap either.

Thanks!
Scott

The nikon 28mm series e f2.8 ais lens is the closest i can think of, sells for aroun $80-100 on ebay. Not quite as wide as u want and the n75 wont meter with ais.

Tokina did make a 17mm f3.5, in ais and af. But these are beyond your budget (at least $200). I owned the ais version of this lens and it wasnt nearly as sharp as my nikon 20mm.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back