Telephoto Recommendations

Which do you recommend?

• Fuji 55-200mm (new)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nikon D7000 w/ 70-300mm (Factory refurb)

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

penguinhunterd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I'm new to this forum and relatively new to photography outside of point and shoots. I currently have a Fuji X-E1 with the 35mm and 18-55mm lenses. I absolutely adore this camera and the lenses but I'd like to be able to do some telephoto work for birding, light astronomy (moon etc.), and just shots that I can't conveniently get close to. Fuji is about to release the new 55-200mm lens for the Fuji X-mount and I had originally planned to get that. However, I feel on some level that having such a huge lens on the Fuji more or less negates the design purpose of a mirror less like the X-E1.
So here's what I've been thinking... I can get a Nikon D7000 with the 70-300mm lens (both factory refurb with warranty) for roughly another 300 bucks.. which would give me another camera and a much longer telephoto zoom. The added bonus of having the other camera would be that it would give me a camera for my wife to use when I decide to go into photography mode.

Any thoughts or experiences with the 70-300mm? Which would be better for my purposes?

Nikon's 70-300 is one of the best values per dollar spent today. Yes, there are better 300mm lenses, but not in that price range.

To give you an idea of how much focal length you may want, here is an un-cropped image of the moon made with 200 mm, 300 mm, 500 mm, and 1000 mm lenses mounted on a 1.5x crop body camera so you can see how big the Moon would be in the image frame:
The D7000 is also a 1.5x crop body camera.

MoonsFocalLength.jpg

Last edited:
To visualize the size of the moon, look at a dime at 6' 4" or a quarter at 8' 6" away. That's how big (angularly) the moon is.

Most reactions

Back