Telephoto vs telephoto mirror?

Valethar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was browsing around, looking at the various lenses available for my AE 1-P, and saw 2 different types of 500mm lens. One was a telephoto, the other a telephoto mirror that was about half the length, give or take.

What's the difference in the two? Are they basically the same, other than the aperture range? I didn't see anything that explained the design difference a mirror reflex lens would have over a long lens.

Somewhat curious now.

Well mirror lenses are known for there very bad IQ and tiny apertures that make them useless if its not mid day without a cloud in sight. Basically a gimic companys are hoping newbs fall for when they see such a large zoom with little price tag. Now correct me if im wrong but i think there have been some GOOD mirror lenses from companys like nikon.

out of focus highlights == doughnuts I find it pretty annoying.

but

Mirror lenses are far more compact than any reflex type of lens.

So in general, I'd be better off with a long lens instead of the compact mirror ones? The trade-off being the long one having more bulk, but less chance of oddball artifacts like the doughnuts?

Image quality can be also an issue with either... there are less Mirror lenses to choose from and even less "good" mirror lenses to find. The oddball doughnut artifacts are common in mirror lens design though....

So in general, I'd be better off with a long lens instead of the compact mirror ones? The trade-off being the long one having more bulk, but less chance of oddball artifacts like the doughnuts?

Another trade off is that the long lens will cost you about 6 times as much as the mirror lens.

The price difference should clue you into the quality. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back