Tennis???

DeepSpring

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.joshualights.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I never shot tennis before, or really payed any attention to it.... My newspaper wants me to do he game on thursday (and I must the editor is on it lol)

So any tips on what to look for? Maybe if any of you know tennis what are the "Major" times where I should look for shots, besides a serve and hitting the ball back does mch else happen?

And any other general tips

thank you

I must start by admitting never to have shot tennis before. But I have played tennis a lot and seen games on TV and shots in the magazines and papers. So based on that experience:

Sit close to the net and not at the ends of the court. The players exchange fields every so often, so you can shoot at opposite angles without moving your feet. Of course, if you can move around, all the better.

I would use a med telephoto (200mm) or even better a 70-200/2.8. A f/4 telephoto would be sufficient, if there is enough light or you can accept ISO400 or 800.

It would be nice to be able to use fill flash, however tennis is all about concentration and with flash, before you know it, your editor will kick you out of the court.

There are several eye-catching moments that you can aim for:

1. The serve: While the ball is in it's apogee and the player is aiming at the ball with the racket angled behind him/her. (Just before the storm). Try to catch the moment frozen.

Another moment to catch (repeatedly until you succeed) is the moment the racket hits the ball. Try not to freeze this moment (not difficult as the racket travels quite fast). My guess would be a 1/200 speed or less, but experiment. It looks nice to have the racket blurred by motion - makes the speed and power even more apparent.

2. Smash hits. They really look great on picture, but before you shoot them, the players have to hit them. The same rules like serve hit apply here.

3. Runs:
The player runs to catch a distant hit across the field. The shots can be either entertaining (the player misses the ball or tumbles over) or full of power.

4. Reverse shots: For a right handed player, if the ball comes to their left, they hit a reverse shot which usually looks nice when performed well.

And in general:
The game lasts long. Make sure you have enough film or memory cards (I would rather shoot in silicon rather than film) and enough fresh batteries if you are shooting with a dSLR.

Repeat shots as split moment action shots are very hard to get, especially if you haven't got the experience.

Shoot both players. !!

Look for funny moments, grimaces, and the like. They tend to happen quite often in tennis - as in every sport activity.

Post some samples when you are done. :sexywink:

Its probably best to position yourself towards one end of the court, and shoot the player facing you, so you get 'head-on' shots if you have a long enough lens.

As you mentioned, the serves and returns will be the main points to look out for, as well as any 'spectacular' action - dives, stretching shots etc. Also keep an eye on the reactions of the players - close-ups of their faces or whole body shots when they've just won (or lost...) a vital point will be good.

Most reactions

Back