Testing an old Tamron lens

Lonnie1212

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Folks,

DSC_3229a.JPG
Bought an old 200-400 f/5.6 Tamron lens. It is not really an impressive performer in the daytime. But at night it's a different story. Tonight I got the best moon picture I have ever taken. It is not the best moon picture I have ever seen. But it's the best moon picture I have taken in two years. It happens to be with the lowest performing lens that I have. Not sure how that worked out. But tomorrow night I want to try a Saturn picture. Thank you.

You could convert that to b&w boot the contrast
The b&w will loose the ca fringe and any noise will look like grain on film

Nice shot. Good luck with Saturn and let us know how it goes.

Looks like a moon shot from the 70's.

Hi K9Kirk,

There might be a good reason why it looks like a 1970's picture. It was taken with a 200-400 Tamron f/5.6 lens. I bought it a couple of weeks ago for $125.00 on eBay. The Nikon version of this lens is around $3000.00. I took 471 daytime pictures with it. Everyone of the pictures were just poor and soft. But the 3 moon pictures turned out to be the best of all. I am wondering why the moon pictures are just fine when the daytime pictures look like they are taken with a cheap DX camera and lens. I checked all the camera and lens settings on the day I took 471 pictures. Nothing I did improved the quality of the pictures. Later on I attached an 80-400 Nikon to the Nikon D610 and took 80 pictures. It was like magic. Every picture was perfectly acceptable.

Most reactions

Back