The_Caper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all:

Just trying to test the sharpness of my new lens. Would like everyones opinion on weather or not I have a good copy of the lens. The exif is available by clicking on the image but if some can't read it.

Basically I was indoors available light, iso 400, different apetures and shutter speeds on a tripod using the timer. zoomed to 135mm with the 70-200 F4L
shooting at F 5.0 and F 16.

Probably not the best testing conditions but if anyone can give me some better pointers on testing the lens that would be great.

I did absolutely nothing to these photos other than resize to show on this forum and I believe I lost some quality in the resizing?

Thanks all

Beer.jpg

Gin.jpg

Thank you Sideburns:

I cropped the gin photo to this. I am not sure if it's a 100 percent crop. I am not sure how to measure a crop. Does it still look reasonable? Again, I did not apply any special effects i.e sharpness.

100percent.jpg

Your choice in beer is fine too. But for me it seems odd that Sol tasted so much better when I drank it in Mexico than when I had it at home in PA.

Your shots look okay, but the first shot is using f16. Around f8 will be the sharpest aperture for this lens, f16 is very close to being out of the sweetspot.

Both shots should have faster shutter speeds unless you use mirror lockup. Without mirror lockup, the shutter acuation can cause motion blur. Faster shutter speeds at that focal length would be better and I would also test at ISO 100

Thanks TC:

How do I manage to get faster shutter speeds with available light at iso 100?

As it is, shooting at iso 400 was giving me relativly slow shutter speeds.

When you say the images are ok, does that mean for the shooting conditions I probably have a good copy of the lens?

Thanks TC:

How do I manage to get faster shutter speeds with available light at iso 100?

As it is, shooting at iso 400 was giving me relativly slow shutter speeds.

When you say the images are ok, does that mean for the shooting conditions I probably have a good copy of the lens?

I would do the test with adequate light. Outside on the deck may help.

When I look at the 100% crop, I think you have a sharp copy. You seem to be really unsure about your lens. I would shoot outdoors with plenty of light of still or controlled subjects (pets).

Good luck

Most reactions

New Topics

Back