Texture and a spout

Demers18

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for honest CC. What could be done differently to achieve better results.

#1 Antique Dresser

I wanted to try and bring out the texture as much as possible so I decided to bring in some lighting creating bigger shadows and therefore giving more texture.

6632587523_f5f88cbaf3_z.jpg
[/URL] _MG_0599-NP by lee.demers, on Flickr[/IMG]

#2 B&W Version of #1

6632571323_d2a8bd3b0b_z.jpg
[/URL] _MG_0599-NP-BW by lee.demers, on Flickr[/IMG]

#3 My goal was to try and set a mood with simplicity.

6632558371_a5a4a4563c_z.jpg
[/URL] _MG_0556-BW by lee.demers, on Flickr[/IMG]

Let me know what you think

Well, you wanted texture and you got it! If you convert to black and white, try to lighten the orange paint a bit (using Y and R sliders in Channel Mixer or BW conversion layer) so you get better contrast between the flat paint surface and the shadows along the cracks. Look at how much better the cracks stand out in parts of the color image compared to the BW.

The simplicity of the spout is good, but I'd up the contrast a bit. I also wonder if it would be better with the stopper moved to the right a little.

Thanks Ken. I will give a go again tomorrow with the spout a little over the right and see what happens. I also want to mention that these have absolutely no post processing, must say I'm proud of that, but yes I did notice in the B&W picture is flatter. I wasn't aware that by lightening the orange would help with the contrast. I'll give that a go as well.

I agree with KenC. I think the B&W conversion of the first image, could have been done better. As it is, it tends to hide some of the texture, whereas you probably want to accentuate it instead. Making the paint lighter would probably help that.

As for the shot itself (I'll look at the colour version). You have some nice side lighting, to help bring out the texture, but maybe you could take that further...make it extreme side lighting...very close to 90 degrees from the surface. That would really help to bring out the texture. I like the lines and different levels/surfaces, but at the same time, I think it's a bit to angular. All the lines are straight, which isn't necessarily bad, but the way they stop and start, the composition doesn't have much flow. One suggestion would be try tilting the camera to create diagonal lines, but I'm not sure if that would end up with a better image or not. Something else I might suggest, would be to get in closer, focus on the smaller details and leave out some of the lines from the carpentry detailing. In other words, if you can get closer, you might be able to make it more abstract, which might really take advantage of that great texture, to create a 'better' final image.

As for the second image, again...I agree with KenC. The image lacks contrast and I think that its too dark overall. I also agree about the composition. With the plug just below the spout, it sort of creates a vertical line, which doesn't do much in terms of leading the view's eye. If it was more to the right of the frame, it would help the viewer's eye to travel across the frame, allowing (or forcing) a more thorough examination of the whole image. Also, I'm not digging the perspective. I'm thinking that I'd like the camera to be a bit higher, giving use a more angular perspective of the 'scene'.

For both shots, don't be afraid to try some more extreme processing techniques. I'm not sure exactly what I'm envisioning, but I'd certainly try out a lot of things to see if they make the images jump. For example, try adding a ton of contrast and/or sharpening. Try some basic toning, not just black & white. Try vignetting and/or dodging & burning.

Besides the lack of contrast in the second one, I don't think there is anything really wrong with them...but they don't excite or interest me, so I do think there is room for experimentation and improvements.

I agree with KenC. I think the B&W conversion of the first image, could have been done better. As it is, it tends to hide some of the texture, whereas you probably want to accentuate it instead. Making the paint lighter would probably help that.

As for the shot itself (I'll look at the colour version). You have some nice side lighting, to help bring out the texture, but maybe you could take that further...make it extreme side lighting...very close to 90 degrees from the surface. That would really help to bring out the texture. I like the lines and different levels/surfaces, but at the same time, I think it's a bit to angular. All the lines are straight, which isn't necessarily bad, but the way they stop and start, the composition doesn't have much flow. One suggestion would be try tilting the camera to create diagonal lines, but I'm not sure if that would end up with a better image or not. Something else I might suggest, would be to get in closer, focus on the smaller details and leave out some of the lines from the carpentry detailing. In other words, if you can get closer, you might be able to make it more abstract, which might really take advantage of that great texture, to create a 'better' final image.

Thanks for insight. I haven't thought about moving the light at a 90 degree. I did take some shots of just the texture but I found that it didn't "pop" enough, although with the lighting at a 90 degree angle would probably help. I'll definitely give it a go.

As for the second image, again...I agree with KenC. The image lacks contrast and I think that its too dark overall. I also agree about the composition. With the plug just below the spout, it sort of creates a vertical line, which doesn't do much in terms of leading the view's eye. If it was more to the right of the frame, it would help the viewer's eye to travel across the frame, allowing (or forcing) a more thorough examination of the whole image. Also, I'm not digging the perspective. I'm thinking that I'd like the camera to be a bit higher, giving use a more angular perspective of the 'scene'.

Is there a way other than lighting and post processing that could help achieve a better contrast? I've been playing with the settings and have been struggling to do so. I also tried it with the lighting and it gave me some shadows that were too harsh. Is that when you need to use a reflector, that I don't have, on the other side of the image to balance it out?

For both shots, don't be afraid to try some more extreme processing techniques. I'm not sure exactly what I'm envisioning, but I'd certainly try out a lot of things to see if they make the images jump. For example, try adding a ton of contrast and/or sharpening. Try some basic toning, not just black & white. Try vignetting and/or dodging & burning.

Besides the lack of contrast in the second one, I don't think there is anything really wrong with them...but they don't excite or interest me, so I do think there is room for experimentation and improvements.

I'll play around in post and see what I can some with and try a few other angles and play around a little more and help make them pop.

Thanks for taking the time to CC these in such detail. Much appreciated.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back