the 90's-- howd that crazy era work.

I remember in the 90's when art directors started wanting digital images for Photoshop. I couldn't just send transparencies. I had to digitize my transparencies to deliver them on CD. I would make a 4X5 or medium format exposure on transparency film and then scan the film and compress the dickens out of it to get it to the art directors in the form they wanted.

I used to scratch my head and wonder why I spent the money for those wonderful Schneider lenses on the view camera. We had stopped actually using that amazing image making power years earlier when they stopped using process cameras in the printing business.

The images that current-technology digital cameras are producing are better than what the ad agencies and publishers were actually using 10 years ago to be sure. Perhaps not as good as the images we used with process cameras. It's been a long time since Ansel Adams labored over his beloved 8X10 negatives.

So not content with using an obsolete format, this Amstel Adams or whatever his name is insists on using mules instead of flying in on private helicopter? Sounds like the man's being wilfully obtuse. Look, the guy hasn't even set up a DeviantArt account...

:sillysmi:

EDIT
Everything I said was said earlier in the thread, so nevermind. It's what I get for being to lazy to read.

Hertz van Rental said:
Several points:
If an image is being used for reproduction in a magazine or newspaper (and that is how most people see images) then it doesn't matter what state the image is in. The half-tone process used in offset litho printing generally homogenizes everything anyway.

There you go. I was going to answer the question but he has answered it succinctly right there. That's why you don't see grain in photos that come from a printing press.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back