The best of yesterday's trip around Provo Airport

jedirunner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Yesterday, my daughter and I were accompanied by a friend from work who's also learning to shoot (he's running with a Nikon D800, low end lenses).

I took out my new tamron 200-500 (inspired by CoastalConn) and was pleased with it overall. Slower focus than my other lenses (duh, it's not anywhere near as wide open), but the reach is very nice when it comes time to crop the shots.

I will say that while we saw a Great Blue Heron several times (we kept scaring him forward along our walking path), I never did have my camera out and ready for his shot, so it was last-second trying to spot and focus on him. A *good* pic of a GBH *continues* to elude me. The hunt continues.

Today's haul included:
  • Great Blue Heron (sighted, 4 blurry pics)
  • Black-Crowned Night Heron Adult (sighted, but no pic)
  • Black-Crowned Night Heron Juvenile (a first for us)
  • Yellow-Headed Blackbird
  • Red-Winged Blackbird
  • American Robin
  • American White Pelican
  • Snowy Egret (a first for us)
  • Various Geese and Ducks
  • Few other misc birds we didn't ID including one bird of prey that flew by

I was most excited for the juvenile Black-Crowned Night Herons. I really like those.

Here are a few of the shots I like the most from the outing. C&C Welcome and appreciated!
1. Some variety (yes, blurry pic, but it's nice to show the variety and the place we were shooting)
p1594910040-5.jpg

2. Caspian Tern
p1594910232-5.jpg

3. Duck (I like the shot, even if not focused perfectly on it)
p1594910840-5.jpg

4. Juvenile Black-crowned Night Heron
p1594910620-5.jpg

5. Another Juvenile BCNH -- I can still see you:
p1594910730-5.jpg

6. Pelican (most of the pic seems a bit underexposed to me, and this wasn't the best background for him, but I like the details):
p1594910282-5.jpg

7. Prettier pelican pic, though not as detailed as the bird in #6
p1594911400-5.jpg

8. Snowy Egret: Meeting of the Three (I like his shadow, reflection, and him, all meeting at the feet)
p1594911070-5.jpg

9. Snowy Egret in flight:
p1594910326-5.jpg

Thanks for any comments and suggestions.

Kevin

Most reactions

Back