The "flash me!" thread

Village Idiot

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Another thread to play in.

Post up your photos where you've used any type of artificial light source. These are photos you have questions about, want critique on, or just want to show off. If you need help, there's some experienced members that can provide you with more than enough of it.

Good idea for a thread VI. I'll start us off with a little question.

How do you stop dog redeye (goldeneye) when using flash on the camera? I didn't try the flash on redeye as i think i've tried it before and it didn't work (on the dog).

My dog's right eye doesn't react to light either.

(My only thoughts would be to bounce the light, as there's nothing to bounce it from i'm thinking a i'd need to hold a reflector off to camera right and bounce the flash on to that?.. or take flash off camera... or just use a reflector without flash)

Q: Can you prevent redeye on dogs?

goldeneye.jpg

Using my new homemade DIY ringflash:

nuts.jpg

Good idea for a thread VI. I'll start us off with a little question.

How do you stop dog redeye (goldeneye) when using flash on the camera? I didn't try the flash on redeye as i think i've tried it before and it didn't work (on the dog).

My dog's right eye doesn't react to light either.

(My only thoughts would be to bounce the light, as there's nothing to bounce it from i'm thinking a i'd need to hold a reflector off to camera right and bounce the flash on to that?.. or take flash off camera... or just use a reflector without flash)

Off camera for sure, the problem being the angle the light is reflecting directly into the eyes and then directly back to the camera.

yeah i knew it was because it was on camera but redeye reduction never works, plus his right eye doesn't react to light so it's never going to work.

Was just an idea, in case there was any easy on-camera solution.

Icassell - any more shots with that thing yet? :)

Icassell - any more shots with that thing yet? :)

Nah ... I'm at work and worked most of the weekend ... but soon ... sooon .... soooooon :)

A flash bracket may help as you're moving it further from the angle at which the light enters the eye relative to the lens.

All the red eye reduction does is fire a preflash to make the eye's iris(?) contract so that the light entering the eye won't reflect back at the lens.

This may not be as effective when shooting outdoors, but it works a charm indoors and close to your subject. Reverse fire your flash. It still illuminates, but no red-eye.

BTW, red-eye reduction doesn't work on animals that don't reflect a red eye.

Yup, i know how red eye reduction works, just wondered why it never works on dogs :)

A bracket seems like the best idea then in that situation.

Anyway.. off i go to look for some dog-eye plugins/filters.

we'd look weird with dog eyes, might try photochopping that one day.

nah, i fixed them now though, found a little tutorial on how to remedy the problem, easy peasy.

Just showing off

Light source used is a 6D cell Maglight across the ground plane, and a standard enegrysaver flouresent lamp bulb behind and Two 48 inch flouresent tube bulbs in an overhead fixture above with a white card under the subject. (the overhead was so I could see what I was doing...it was pretty early in the morning when I took that :lol: )

002-1_2.jpg

do studio strobes count?

Here's my contribution, shot with one speedotron black line head and a 20 degree grid spot.

2654835718_f50a529687_b.jpg

Most reactions

Back