What's new

The Fuggerei, Augsburg

Fred Berg

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
May 17, 2011
Messages
1,802
Reaction score
748
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
imm024_12A-010.jpg


The Fuggerei in Augsburg is considered to be the oldest social housing project in the world. I have included this link in case you'd like to know more: Fuggerei - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
 
Watch your tilt.
Looks like you were going for symmetry here, but you're shifted a little left. (and crooked).

As far as making the photo more interesting, maybe bracket a few shots and pull in the details that are lost in the shadows. (specifically around the arch.)
 
Watch your tilt.
Looks like you were going for symmetry here, but you're shifted a little left. (and crooked).

As far as making the photo more interesting, maybe bracket a few shots and pull in the details that are lost in the shadows. (specifically around the arch.)

Thanks for the feedback.

It looks pretty straight to me, not tilted or crooked. Of course, everyone has their own ideas and tolerances on this, but I can't help thinking you're being, perhaps, a little too fussy here.

Quite honestly I think the photo is interesting as it is, and the dynamic range of the film used has picked out just enough of the detail in the darker areas. My feeling is that by showing up more around the arch the overall feel of the photo would suffer.

The left of centre is intentional, and the eye wouldn't settle as nicely on the woman walking towards the camera if the scene was more symmetrical, imo.
 
Nice shot for the historical place!
Good idea to put a WIKI link =)
the sky is too bright for me, but I read that you use film... So great job on getting this photo!
I know how hard it is to shoot with film to compose and focus as perfect as possible for 1 photo that you are only going to see in a negative then process it to paper.
Respect man! :thumbup:
 
Fred, I really like it. It's an interesting and effective composition that led me from the tunnel entrance to the fountain in the background with interesting buildings on both sides of the street along the way. There is a very, and I mean very slight tilt. So slight that I would have missed it myself, and even if I saw it, most likely wouldn't have bothered to fix it. the tunnel entrance has more then enough detail and old world charm to be interesting, yet not distracting to the rest of your composition. While the sky is light grey, and the fact that I don't see any real bold shadows, I'm assuming that it was basically an overcast day, hence, the cloudy sky.

Nicely composed and exposed. You've come a long ways from those 1st series of pictures.
 
Nice shot for the historical place!
Good idea to put a WIKI link =)
the sky is too bright for me, but I read that you use film... So great job on getting this photo!
I know how hard it is to shoot with film to compose and focus as perfect as possible for 1 photo that you are only going to see in a negative then process it to paper.
Respect man! :thumbup:

Thanks. I'm glad you liked the link; the Fuggerei is a very interesing place and well worth a visit for anyone who comes to the city.

Fred, I really like it. It's an interesting and effective composition that led me from the tunnel entrance to the fountain in the background with interesting buildings on both sides of the street along the way. There is a very, and I mean very slight tilt. So slight that I would have missed it myself, and even if I saw it, most likely wouldn't have bothered to fix it. the tunnel entrance has more then enough detail and old world charm to be interesting, yet not distracting to the rest of your composition. While the sky is light grey, and the fact that I don't see any real bold shadows, I'm assuming that it was basically an overcast day, hence, the cloudy sky.

Nicely composed and exposed. You've come a long ways from those 1st series of pictures.

Lol, there must be a tilt there somewhere if two of you say so....which way?

Thanks for the feedback and compliment. Yes, it was a rather dull morning, but as I found out from the Turret thread, overcast can often be better to really bring the colours out in architectural shots.
 
Lol, there must be a tilt there somewhere if two of you say so....which way?

+3 for tilt. Everything is just a little to the right. Look at the sides of the archway compared to the white line on the ground. We're only talking maybe a third of a degree, but given so many lines in the photo its distracting. If it were me, I might crop just a little from the left right and bottom.

Thanks for the wikipedia link, always fun to learn something new.
 
Lol, there must be a tilt there somewhere if two of you say so....which way?

+3 for tilt. Everything is just a little to the right. Look at the sides of the archway compared to the white line on the ground. We're only talking maybe a third of a degree, but given so many lines in the photo its distracting. If it were me, I might crop just a little from the left right and bottom.

Thanks for the wikipedia link, always fun to learn something new.

Thanks. When I printed this out, I used Picasa and cropped to print, which came out more or less as you suggested.
 
OK, so after a day or two away from the image and then looking at it with fresh eyes, I have come up with this:


View attachment 11094

Any better?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom