the jefferson "taking forever to renovate" memorial

JonMikal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i've been wanting to share one of my fav memorials with you for a long time but renovations are taking forever. i was walking along the basin tonight and thought the heck with it, im gonna shoot it and share it. (thats right Eric, no tripod hehe) it is truly an amazing site when all is in place, i.e; catching a nice evening sky, NO scaffolding, NO big black whatever it is at the stairway base, including the potomac river in the foreground with a reflection, and void of people. i will surely return and try to capture the essence of this remarkable structure then and post. until, this will give you an idea of it's size and beauty.

just a tidbit of info for those who dont know: jefferson was the third president of the united states and one of eight presidents from virginia. his home "monticello" is in charlottesville, va. the "dome" design is reminiscent of jefferson's architectual style.

18734228-L.jpg

we visited monticello. cool place.

nice picture! i think the crowd makes it less cliche than just a picture of a famous structure (plus you see scaffolding and the lighting is cool). is it just me or is there a slight CW tilt?

I'm with thebeginning here: I prefer this 'imperfect' view of the Memorial, with the people and the scaffolding (and you wisely hid the black-whatever-it-is-at-the-base in the shadows, so it is not very distracting).
My husband is by my side, and he just threw one glance at your photo and said: "This has come out nicely!" Out of his mouth... feel flattered ;););)!!!
And hey: without a tripod!!! Cool. You must have SOOOO steady hands. I'd have got only blurs if I had been in your place!

Very nice Jon, can't believe its hand held. I would not attempt without a tripod. :hail: The image is very captivating.

Eric

Hend held? You have to share how you can do that, it looks to clear for a high iso setting? As for the picture ...that is one good exposure. There is nothing in the picture I do not like, hell the scaffolding and flood lights seems to fit. The yellow adds a nice warmth to the picture in stark contrast to the rest of the picture. Damn I really like this photo there is so much to look at.

Yet another spectacular photo, the detail is amazing.

(I think J-M must have a third arm, he is a human tripod. :lol: )

Picksure said:
(I think J-M must have a third arm, he is a human tripod. :lol: )

i should have explained in more detail. iso 400 and rested elbows on a railing. still handheld? :wink:

Renovation or not this is a beautiful building, great shot! i envy you!having such buildings right on your doorstep,i have to travel for miles to see them.

dalebe said:
Renovation or not this is a beautiful building, great shot! i envy you!having such buildings right on your doorstep,i have to travel for miles to see them.

thanks, i am extremely fortunate.

As usual JonMikal you have a knack for producing beautiful work ... the scaffolding and people do not detract from this at all ... the lighting and colours are wonderful wtg :thumbsup: :mrgreen:

Another great shot Jon!!! The renovation does add to it a lot. Still can't believe you pulled it off without a tripod!!! You must be very steady ;) I know this isn't critique, but I was just going to put out that it seems to be tilted just a hair. Straighten her out and I'd say perfection :mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back